Lets Stay With 4.101 For Now

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Following tonights hosting I am of the opinion that we should stick with 4101 as our "official" version.

Tonight, we had Pooka not seeing Artie but everyone else did, parafrags not working, the multi crew still does not work..

I think it is important that we have a stable game version so all players can join in and play with no worries.

Friar

S~ all,

Not my place to speak up since I've been gone for so long, but...

... I have to admit it was quite a convenience to run one single update - the "mega.3.10.1 patch" - and then be up and flying without any hazzle.

Best,

Akula

I like UP when it works. Wish we were still running UP 2.01....

I formatted my system and have dual boots, but can't get UP 3.0 to even load on either of them. When it works again for all of us, I'm in... but till then 4.10.1 is fine.

• 2. Administrators

It's odd why there are some people struggling to get it working period and others where it doesn't seem to have problems. FWIW, I don't switch my install between up3 and 4.10.1 using jsgme, I've gone down the route of separate installs for each. Seems happier that way rather than using different .exes.

Personally I like up3 and the things it offers and I believe we should continue to support both up3 and 4.10.1 while the devs get the bugs out. If the community doesn't support the devs, enhancements to the game will dry up. Bear in mind we are getting all this though the blood, sweat and tears of a fairly small group of talented individuals, and we're getting it for free!

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

It's not that we'll be ignoring UP3... but for now we'll have to switch back to 4.10.1m for the regular coops.

There's too many issues popping up, taking out the fun, frustrating all of us 'cos a member can't join, missions can't be loaded, the gunner issue, weird things happening, as an invisible Artie, but only for Pooka... (or was it vice versa?) scoring is messed up...

It's too much at the moment!

To be honest i've got on ok with UP3 so far, it installed ok and in general runs ok.

I do the same as Jabo, and have seperate installs for different versions of IL2 and this has worked out well for me.

Currently I have UP3, 4.101 (ModAct) and good old UP2 just in case! (Plus a stock 4.101 vanilla)

However, when it comes to playing co-ops I agree that we have to fly a version that is stable for everybody, and this last week has proved that not everyone is having such a smooth time of it.

We have to remember that UP3 is still a release candidate and many of the bugs experienced are being worked on for the final release, whenever that may be!

There does seem to be a lot bugs that are affecting mission building/conversions from 4.09, which is particularly worrying.

I for one am willing to give the UP team the benefit of the doubt and continue to trial version 3, because I like what it has to offer.

BUT, I absolutely agree that for the time being we should stick with what is best for the majority, and if that is 4.101, then so be it!:thumbsu:

I think my firewall and/or antivirus may be the issue. I use BitDefender and have posted my problems at SAS site. Another guy posted the same issue with Bitdefender.

When I run UP without the #UP 3.0# mod it loads fine. But if I enable that mod and try to run Stock Game; Classic Mod Game; UltraPack 3; or Deep Blue whatever... sometimes before the Selector loads I get a message from the Selector saying it does not have 'write' permissions to the games folder, and that I just turn off UAC or not install the game in Program Files. Neither of these things are true!! I have not installed in program files I have installed in 'X:\My Programs'. And I have UAC OFF. Then the Selector pops up and I run the game and absolutly nothing happens. No game, no error, no nothing. But il2fb.exe is in memory and I have to end task.

So, I turn off my Antivirus and firewall and then a little BitDefender window pops up saying that il2fb.exe has violate access rules and will be terminated by the Antivirus System!!!!!!!!!!! I have AntiVirus turned OFF!!?? WTF!! I have a Ticket in with BitDefender as to why Antivirus is running after I turned it off..

• 1. DDz Quorum

I am not saying we abandon UP 3 as our main flying engine its just at the moment I think we need a "one size fits all" solution.

One thing we do have to keep an eye on is the road map for UP3. Hades seems to be moving away from support for co-ops. As that is our main flying activity we are going to have to plan some sort of "mission factory" to convert the vast array (or build news ones) of the ones we have.

Consider this. When building a co-op, the designer will generally set a balance, say 8 red and 2 blue (ok, ok, I am a little bitter), the designer will set a balance 8 v 8 in a scenario. At the moment if the player seats are not taken, AI steps in, good old AI (just in time to take your points as well!) Under the dog fight scenario, the number of planes can be limited, however, if no one wanted to fly blue, unless the designer puts AI planes in, which could in turn make the mission totally one sided, there would be no opposition to fly against at all, making it pointless.

We need to watch this one.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I agree, 4.101 until UP is stable. We use up far too much time sorting out issues rather than flying, 2-3 workable missions during an evening's co-ops isn't enough.

Dogfight server will remain UP (unless Rog decides different, of course).

• 1. DDz Quorum

To be honest i've got on ok with UP3 so far, it installed ok and in general runs ok.

I do the same as Jabo, and have seperate installs for different versions of IL2 and this has worked out well for me.

Currently I have UP3, 4.101 (ModAct) and good old UP2 just in case! (Plus a stock 4.101 vanilla)

However, when it comes to playing co-ops I agree that we have to fly a version that is stable for everybody, and this last week has proved that not everyone is having such a smooth time of it.

We have to remember that UP3 is still a release candidate and many of the bugs experienced are being worked on for the final release, whenever that may be!

There does seem to be a lot bugs that are affecting mission building/conversions from 4.09, which is particularly worrying.

I for one am willing to give the UP team the benefit of the doubt and continue to trial version 3, because I like what it has to offer.

BUT, I absolutely agree that for the time being we should stick with what is best for the majority, and if that is 4.101, then so be it!:thumbsu:

~S~ Chaps,

That pretty much sums it "UP" for me to :laughing7:

A thought (ouch)....I wonder if there is any connection between the way folks have their various installs of IL2 and problems with UP3.0RC3 ?

I have two separate installs : UP3.0RC3 and "vanilla" 410.1m.

No problems (so far)!

What do you guys have ?

~S~ Painintheass.

Sure is funny that some can't even get it to run. My installation was easy and works fine for the most part, I feel for those having issues. UP3 is great for messing around with occasionally, but when it comes to coops, the less issues the better. We already have enough holdups and tech problems like Track IR not working, crashing on takeoff, forgetting to hit the fly button or just taking forever to join the game and keep everyone waiting which I would never ever do personally. :laughing7:

• 1. DDz Quorum

I'll keep the DF on UP, now should be running RC3, until I get a request otherwise.

I would think the variety of Aircraft is the plus, not to mention the sounds - should make the DF experience all the more tense

HI Guys

Been a while since I flew a Co-op with you guys, will have to change that soon. Was going to last Sunday but my internet was down for 24 hours. Someone 2 hours away on a backhoe cut the cable, ouch.

Sorry to hear there are so many problems with the mods. Just my 2 cents but I have a separate install for 4.09 & UP2.1, 4.101 stock, UP3.0, UP3.0RC2 and UP3.0RC3. I have had very few, if any problems other than those inherent to the mod itself. I have a separate JSGME for each version of the mod linked to the directory the mod is in. Stuff like TrackIR works fine in each one and no flying issues. I do not have the wide screen thing so I can’t comment on that.

I know I flew a Co-op with the Dogz some time ago, only managed to be rear gunner in an AI aircraft so I know of the crew issue in co-ops. 4.101 looks plain now but I agree if it works best for all that is the way to go.