Bomber Command Memorial

JensenPark

JP, It's in Green Park in Central London. Get off the Tube at Green Park station and cross the road into the park. If you keep walking you'll pass the memorial, go out of the park and walk up Constitution Hill and you'll find yourself at the end of The Mall, outside Buckingham Palace.

• 2. Administrators

28th June is the opening ceremony I believe. The BBMF Lanc is scheduled to do a poppy drop overhead.

If time/funds allow, I'm intending to go (Probably go straight to Duxford in the evening - grab an extra night at the hotel as I'd be heading there the following morning anyway)

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

Chaps

Although I am at work on that day and not able to attend, you are more than welcome to crash at my place (It will mean sleeping either on the floor or a camp bed/inflatable mattress) on the Wednesday night, head off to London by train (I can get to central London in about 30 mins door to door) on the Thursday, stay back at my place on Thursday and then we all head off in convoy on the Friday.

Food and beverages included ;)

Priory B&B

• 2. Administrators

Splendid idea Colin, thank you.

Erm...you did say 'beverages included'? - You'd better move away from the door, I'd hate for you to be knocked over in the rush...

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Right chaps, as a relative of one of the 55,573 Bomber Command aircrew killed during the war, it is possible I may be able to get tickets to the unveiling event itself. IF that is the case and IF I can get more than 1, who would want to go? I need to know ASAP, as allocations could be made any day now.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Application has gone in guys. Including myself i've requested 7 tickets although this will not be in the seated area alongside the memorial as the limit for tickets there is 2.

People expressing an interest;

Jabo

Painless

Fenrir

Fruitbat

Blubear (?)

Sid (?)

JP (?)

Doing the math, i reckon thats 7.

Jabo

P.S. The itinerary I have shows the Service starting at noon although it advises arriving early to get through the security checks

• 1 month later...
  • 2. Administrators

Ok chaps I have a bit of a problem here. I've got the tickets but as the event is over subscribed, they've only sent me two of the seven I requested. Which leaves me in a bit of a spot. Any ideas?

Jabo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2. Administrators

I don't think a bidding war is really in the spirit of the thing :)

There's no problem with people coming along to see the Lanc obviously, but I can't get more than two into the do itself.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

May get in touch with Bomber Command and offer the tickets to some of the vets who cant get tickets. Then all the Dogz can be together and make some old men happy :)

+1, disgraceful that some vets that want to go can't.

• 2. Administrators

Except I am the sole surviving relative of one of the 55,000 so I'm attending on behalf of William and James Nicol.

Don't get me wrong, ALL Bomber Command vets have tickets - They, quite rightly, had priority, along with relatives and are in the main (seated) memorial area. I returned my ticket for that as I would have been on my own and I wanted to be with the Dogz that could make it.

Jabo

P.S. I most sincerely hope that no-one here thinks I would take a ticket that could go to a vet...