The Big Fat Aeroplane Video Thread!

BluBear

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1. DDz Quorum

I would be willing to bet that they change the design of that "stool" as a result of that incident Chris. His main problem was not seeing it at all so maybe white (the same as the rest of the deck markings) is not the best colour and some outriggers with lights would mean he could gauge it's position when directly above.

Great landing !

P.

I don't think not seeing it was such a problem, he mainly spoke simply say how unusual it felt knowing his situation that he couldn't see it, the fact they train so hard to be able to land consistently on the exact same spot with precision means seeing the stool is not important, I would Imagine they'd like to keep such a thing a small and practical size for rapid deployment.

The Shuttleworth Sopwith Triplane regrettably had a bit of a prang yesterday.

The good news is the pilot is ok and the aircraft is repairable, although this may take some time judging by the pictures from after the event.

Who put that gate there?...

• 2. Administrators

Damn, Another 6" and he'd have got away with that. Judging by the smoke, had the pilot realised that he'd slipped off too much height and was applying throttle to slow the descent? Good news that no-one's seriously hurt - that could have been nasty

• 2 weeks later...

Some incredible flying, stunts and footage here!

The 'recently turned 30 with self preservation gene engaged' in me does wince at some of the flying, it looks awfully irresponsible! 

Hello chaps!  I'm in Perth, Western Aus.  It's chilly and five to two on freakin' Saturday morning but can't sleep yet as my stomach says no, it's Friday evening in the UK and is expecting a takeaway curry.  Saw Bongo's shout about the Seafury at Culdrose airday.  Bugger, bugger.

Found this on the 'tube;

Looks to me like the engine lunched itself and he managed to get it onto the runway - just - with a no power approach, flaps down and held off dropping the gear until he was sure of making the apron.  Looks like an emergency drop of the under carriage and the right hand leg didn't lock down.

Pretty good piece of flying me thinks. 

• Like 1

The RNHF have not had a great deal of luck operating their Sea Furies over the years, but thankfully every prang as far as I'm aware, the pilots have walked away from. (Sadly, unlike their Firefly lost in '03)

I've been following the thread on the key forums about the recent incident and it unearthed a fantastic documentary filmed by the flight themselves in the late 80s / early 90s all about the operation of their then T.20 WG655 (now with TFC at Duxford).

For those of you with 90mins spare, I thoroughly recommend you watch this. It's a fantastic insight into the operation of these powerful beasts and also has footage I've never seen before of the loss of their original FB.11 with the pilot talking through his escape.

Bear with the dodgy sound during the first 10mins, it's worth it!

http://youtu.be/nAUc_A3ibxw