To Bee Or Not To Bee.

Blairgowrie

Some friends of ours asked us if we would like to have some bee hives, full of bees, placed on our property. They will look after them and all we have to do is eat the honey! They showed up with the hives just at dusk last night. We have a small orchid with apple and pear trees so that's where they placed them.

Bee-hives-20.jpg

Bee-Hive-2.jpg

That's great BG! My uncle had a little farm south of Rochester Minnsota with about 8 hives. He made some labels and gave friends honey. You could give the DangerDogzzzzzzzz some of your BeeeGeeee Honey.

Good for you BG. All our pollinators are in trouble and need all the help they can get.

I would be interested to hear if they have any trouble like the Colony Collapse Disorder that has been so hard on bees all over the planet.

We used to do the same at our place and got 50 lbs of honey every year, split between the 7 owners. 7 lbs of honey is a lot to eat.

I think the guy got too old to continue and nobody took over.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Well done Jim, that's a great idea. There seems to be an issue with bees worldwide at the moment that has been going on for some years now so anything that will support them is crucial. There is a view that without them and other pollinators our food supply would be hit very badly due to the lack of crop fertilisation.

Bees are one of those natural wonders. Beautiful to look at, how the hell do they fly and the job they do for us is crucial. Love 'em!

• 1. DDz Quorum
Beautiful to look at, how the hell do they fly and the job they do for us is crucial

Well, thank you Sid, it is nice of you to think of me in that way!.....oh...he was talking about the bees......not me.........oh....not even the beautiful bit........ah......

• 1. DDz Quorum
Beautiful to look at, how the hell do they fly and the job they do for us is crucial

Well, thank you Sid, it is nice of you to think of me in that way!.....oh...he was talking about the bees......not me.........oh....not even the beautiful bit........ah......

How nice...that's the worrying part :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Poor Helen! A week before we left for Duxford, she was stung 30 times.

Last night she was cutting the grass with the riding mower and she was stung just below the left eye. It has completely closed the eye today. She was more than 200 yards from the hives but close to the flower garden.

Ouch! Tell her that I feel really bad for her! I hope she feels better soon! Don't you have a bee suit available? Or was she not even doing anything with the bees at the time? Sounds painful!

No bee suit Pete. We have nothing to do with the bees. We just eat the honey. I am going to give her my mosquito hay and veil and she will be well covered when she cuts the grass again.

• 2 months later...