TrackIR advice

Ovy

Guys, most of you already know that i'm still "flying" without normal auxiliary gadgets such as TrackIR and rudder pedals. Now i like to selfindulge myself thinking i was a good boy this year and Santa will bring me something to improve my airplane handling. So plase give me an advice for the version/maker of the TrackIR you're happy with so i should start composing my letter to the old bearded man without complaining about conflicts with the software and the rest of elements involved in the computer.

Salute,

Ovy

• 1. DDz Quorum

Got a TIR3Pro over here. With vector expansion.

But, I only use 2DOF...

The 3Pro does a good job with 2DOF, if you are going to run a 6DOF mod, then a later version might be better...

Also note that for TrackIR, placement and setup/tuning are very important to have it run without issues...

HI Ovy,

I'm using TrackIR4 with the pro clip and TrackIR5 software and it works like a charm. In fact I would not fly without it anymore. Using 6 DOF when available and I'm just loving it.

Here is the link: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

If you can afford the pro clip that just attache to your headset I would recommand it. Some poeple are using the reflectors clip that attache to a baseball type of hat but I prefer to have mine on my headset. I'm always using my headset when I'm playing anyways.

Hope this helps and it is compatible with IL2.

MT

Get Track IR if you can afford it.

Freetrack works as well but in addition to tweaking settings you have to get a suitable webcam and build the tracking part on your head.

I'm using it with few complaints and once all the parts were gathered it took a few hours to build. Cost $40.

http://www.dangerdogz.com/forums/index.php/topic,42.45.html

I got both a used TIR (BG's old TIR3 with vector expansion, running 6DOF), and a used set of CH Pro pedals (from ebay.)

I love them both.

I would go for the used route for rudder pedals again, as I got the pedals and a good Saitek X45 stick and throttle for about $100 CDN.

If I could afford it, I'd get a new TIR 5. I like the X45 as well. It's been a good stick for me. The CH Pro pedals are rock solid.

• 2. Administrators

I splashed out on TIR 5 earlier this year and there's no way I'd go back. Tried FreeTrack without much success, it caused me much grief with setting up and suchlike, whereas TIR worked 'straight out of the box'.

I've been using TIR 3 pro and 6Dof for since it was made available.

It works fine, so anything from that level up will work a treat with IL2.

In Rise of Flight, I have seen a bit of weakness of the 3 pro and 6Dof, TIR5 with its wider angle would pay off in that sim.

Ch Pedals, Microsoft FFB, and Saitek X45 control the rest of my flying.

~S~ Ovy. Using the Tir 4 Pro with 5.0 software. Great. The only issue I have with 5.0 (had 4.0 before) is that I must exit Tir when green led is ON. If red led is ON (pause Tir) I have to go into Taskmanager and delete the process. I have read that others having same problem. Dont know what causes this. Wasnt like this with old version. Running XP Pro 32bit SP3.

Swep

Interesting, my TIR 5 pro shuts down fine in pause mode and starts up normally next time. Must be a mismatch somewhere between the h/w and s/w

Jabo

Yea, remember now that I didnt uninstall the old version, but let the new version install over the old. Could that be a problem?

Swep

I'm using Freetrack for a long time now and I'm very happy with it. for the price u'll spend on TrackIR u can buy a great set of pedals. for Freetrack most important thing is the selection of the camera.

i highly recommend Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000. it works great. I've been using logitech messanger and Logitech QuickCam before but they where not so good.

• 2. Administrators

Interesting, my TIR 5 pro shuts down fine in pause mode and starts up normally next time. Must be a mismatch somewhere between the h/w and s/w

Jabo

Yea, remember now that I didnt uninstall the old version, but let the new version install over the old. Could that be a problem?

Swep

Possibly, worth a try anyway