Guess The Aircraft!

BluBear

Oh...no cheating......I just had a look at Jabo's image google thing and it renders this game almost redundant

I had no idea that was a thing, ok well I shan't cheat.

Now that's an interesting looking bird... got some more clues now let's see.

• 2. Administrators

Well, I have no time for searching for this tonight, so I did run it through the image processor but I won't spoil it for the others still searching. The google thing doesn't usually work on the cropped images so the first one you posted would not have located the arcraft in any case Bongo.

I think Crash is probably the closest so far

I think Bongo tries to fool us a bit. Despite the b/w photo the tail looks more modern than on a ww2 us plane. They had a fatter design with a much more rounded tail. I have tried all search criteras from wide to narrow, but this on beats me. If I would guess it is a proto type 1947-1950-ish :) Country? Not a slightest idéa :(

• Like 1

The fin and rudder look incredibly similar to the Cavalier Mustang and most post war pre-jet aircraft tended to be radial powered.

I think it could be some experimental amalgamated design used for a movie... hmmm

OK, some info:

it is a one off aircraft (apparently only 1 built but I think maybe 2 were) which didn't enter production as it was a competitor for a defence contract that lost out to another design, it first flew in 1938, the company that built it is not associated with aircraft like these.

Got it!

Stearman XA-21

The Stearman Model X-100 was a competitor in an United States Army Air Corps competition

for a twin-engined attack aircraft which (after redesigns) led to the Douglas A-20 Havoc

Martin A-22 Maryland and North American B-25 Mitchell.

Cheers mate, that was a really good one!  :salute:

Your last hint about the failed contract made me wonder what else was in the running of the medium-bomber program that the B-25 eventually won.

Here she is with revised cockpit layout:

post-671-0-21495400-1435231199_thumb.jpg

Ok then, let's see what I can come up with...