Putting On The Goggles Again

Barnaby

• 2. Administrators

You probably also need to map keys for mixture up/down and auto and supercharger up/down both of which have a massive impact on performance at high altitude - for some aircraft anyway.

Don't forget the trim buttons too!

Jabo

• Engine start
  • "jump the F*$! out of the burning plane" button

It is Awsome that the Dogz can takeover your computer, install this beast, and bring a smile from thousands of miles away all through 2 little wires in some places. While in their underwere of course.

Welcom to the Dogz Barnaby.

~S~

Hey Barnaby good to see you've been and got sorted. You appear to be surrounded by a jolly good bunch of geeeezers! I'm going to set everything up tomorrow (Friday) when painless is visiting mine! "I know I'm trusting mike near my PC but I'm also hoping some of the others will be on TS to assist please? Mike and I should be online by noon. Ttfn tally Ho!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hey Parts, Is the computer you posted this with the same computer as where the game runs?

As currently, I have a different IP address for your gaming pc.

The IP address is needed for registration and the use of ChkMods, which might come in handy when mr. P. will be attempting to install the game...

A few things to read that will help you get set up and started

http://www.mission4t...op=show&kid=431

there is a set of missions for practicing takeoff and landings here - you have to register on the site to be able to download

http://www.mission4t...details&id=2147

this is a zip file, The word document gives a good breif and you Install the "Straight_From_the_Farm" folder into your Missions\Campaign\UN folder

Install the Practice folder in your Missions\Single\UN folder

Morning.

I'm up and flying and mapping/binding my keys then trying to remember what I have bound to what. The latter not good when you are needing a fast response from the pilot.

I still have one major difficulty which is with my sidewinder force feedback joystick.

It all works including the force feedback if I select it in game but the the main axial controls seem very insensitive and varying in how they operate. sometimes it feels like for the same given stick movement, in straight and level I get a different amount of reaction.

I'm trying to adjust my curves but so far that doesn't seem to be helping mutch. My setup just now makes for rather jerky turns or changes in direction. I have no dead spot set ie slider all the way left but when flying the stick suddenly files like it's got a huge dead spot or it has lost all control then it suddenly kicks in again.

However if I use the keyboard it is much more instant and smoother.

Any one who uses the sidewinder got any set=up tips?

Regards

EDIT just read that those curve settings can all be equal ie like 40 40 40 I'll give that a try to see if that helps. ?? should I have done anything in the hotas section??? because apart from looking in there I've not adjusted any thing there.

CRASH -=- WHEN i SET IT UP IN THE DEVICES WINDOW ALL BUTTONS WORK OK.

JABO -=- I'VE NOT TRIED IT ON ANY OTHER GAMES but I will do to test it. It has been sat in the open for about 18 months so it might be full of dust etc. I'll get the hoover/blower out and give it some.

To be a bit crude out of game the stick is like a limp dick flopping all over the place then suddenly it gets an errection and stands up straight in the centre, then it goes all limp again. lol That's how it is in game too, one minute I have control then the next it's gone. Now where have I put my can of electrolube.

Also just noticed that the green light on the base changes in intensity matching its changed state. limp = dim and bright = stiff/errect.

When it's bright I can feel spring resistance in all directions when I move the stick but when it goes dim the sticks limp.and useless.

Barnaby, is the force feedback box ticked in your game settings? If it is, try disabling it, then restart the game. You should then have the stick working using the default spring setting. See how that feels in game. This is how I use my stick.

Also, there is a sensor on the stick below the trigger. When you have your hand round the stick this sensor is covered and the stick behaves normally (stiff and erect) if you hold the stick with just a couple of fingers the sensor is uncovered and the force feedback/default spring stops working and you get the floppy effect.

Arthur I never knew that........ there is a little hole just below the trigger well I never, yes that describes what I am getting. I have had the force feedback enabled and disabled I'll try it again disabled to see if that helps.

Just been trying it in the microsoft flight and it does work/feel smoother on that so probably the stick is ok it's my settings that may need some tweaking.

thanks

• 1. DDz Quorum

When you have your hand round the stick this sensor is covered and the stick behaves normally (stiff and erect) if you hold the stick with just a couple of fingers the sensor is uncovered and the force feedback/default spring stops working and you get the floppy effect.

I find with age stiff and erect is not quite so normal any more.

Now I have that confession out of the way:

I have found that my MSFFB2 sticks all suffer from needing to be unplugged from time to time, I get the 'USB device has failed' message and unplugging the USB lead so far has fixed that.

I guess it could just be getting into a sulk from lack of use..

IIRC I left the curves completely alone and it works well.

I believe these are my settings:

[rts_joystick]
X=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Y=0 1 4 9 16 25 36 49 64 81 100 0
Z=0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100

It was good to fly and die last night. I got a few shots off but only did severe cloud damage and some field ploughing with my nose on landings, but it was all in good fun.

I'll get all my keys mapped to what I want today as trying to fly a mixture of original with new was not good.

B16Enk thatnks for your curve control figures which I have been tweaking more to my liking over the last few days and they now look very similar to yours. I'll confirm just in case there are any big variances.

Tally ho

After some bumps and circuits, well a lot more bumps than circuits I began to think I would need a new Jstik. Then I noticed on the hardware screen for input the dispaly shows a green and a red square for movement. Kerbunga, I could see how the curve figures related to control surface movement. The red square was actual Jstik movement whilst the green square was the control surface movement.

I had always felt there was a big dead zone in the middle of the stik so I increased my curve values to the mid point and slowly ramped them up from there and that gave me a much better feel. I like it if when I move the Jstik my plane moves decernably. I'll probably need to tweak it some more but I can now line up and hold a target which before was very difficult.

Now to do some sky bandit shooting practices. UP UP and AWAY

There is a program called IL2JoyControl that let's you set curves for all of your axis, not just the x and y. I have my throttle set to hit 100% in the game when I hit the top afterburner bump, and go to 110 when it is pushed all the way forward. I also tweaked the curves for my trim and rudder axis. You can download the program here. (might need to login/register) Glad to help if you decide to check it out. You can actually save different profiles of curves as well. Here's a screenshot:

2_joyctrl_142_eng.jpg

Thanks Snacko I've just downloaded that and I'll give it a whirl in the morning.

Looks great.

regards

PS . Just tried it from my desktop download location but i'm not sure where I'm suposed to direct it too. After moving things about on install.and adding all the patches/mods, well actually they were all done through TeamViewer. so I'm a little unsure where I want to point it. I think I need to find my config file is that correct?

In the mean time I go read any install instruction off the download site.

OOOOPS "I ran out of altitude, airspeed and ideas all at the same time!"

Cheers

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Barnaby sir,

OOOOPS "I ran out of altitude, airspeed and ideas all at the same time!"

Now that is funny !! Reminds me of track days when guys would "run out of track, talent and cash all at the same time"

BTW.......... "DD_Parts" may well be interested in knowing what you have found helps with stick profiles ;)

~S~ Painless.

Thanks Snacko I've just downloaded that and I'll give it a whirl in the morning.

Looks great.

regards

PS . Just tried it from my desktop download location but i'm not sure where I'm suposed to direct it too. After moving things about on install.and adding all the patches/mods, well actually they were all done through TeamViewer. so I'm a little unsure where I want to point it. I think I need to find my config file is that correct?

When you first run it, it asks for the location of the conf.ini. That is where the game stores it's joystick settings. When you are using the program, and click on the Save to Conf.ini button, it then saves it there so the game sees the changes. If you click on that other button on the left middle (kind of) it saves it to a profile that you name. That is a backup of those settings. I personally don't use the profiles. I just found it useful to setup my hotas the first time. And I stick with that..

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding Snowy, my father tells of the days when our farm was operational and of a certain bull (I think) called Tuck... and of later having Tuckburger on numerous occasions.

A word of caution about the Microsoft Force Feedback 2: They are not invincible, and will degrade over time; they are also no longer in production, so if you find one at a good price, it might be a good idea to get it and save it for a rainy day. I have set mine aside after it quit working (wires broke in the stress relief point, and repair proved unsuccessful) and have settled (for the time being) on a Thrustmaster Hotas X http://itc.ua/files/...pics/2(531).jpg. It's okay, but nothing to write home about. The first separate throttle arangement I've ever had, but even that is less than spectacular. There's a damn detent dead center of the throttle throw so it sticks at 55% throttle, and I have to shove it through... at which point the trottle itself physically slides across my desk due to the sideways forces applied. That and no force feedback whatsoever. Sigh. I miss my FFB2!

EDIT: Yep, okay, I offically hate that damn detent in the throttle. Just blew up my first Junkers Jumo 004 due to unintended "surge" from 55% - 100%. Grumble.