Time To Swap Over To New Gaming Computer With Windows 7.

Painless

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Fine fellows,

I am about to attempt my long awaited swap over to a newer gaming computer with Windows7 installed.

Spec:

3.2Ghz Core 2 Duo (clocked)

8 Ghz ram

120G SSD HD +60G SSD HD + 1Tb conventional HD

Nvidia GTX460 graphics

700W power.

Windows7 pro.

Not sure how it will go or how long it will take to get up to "flying" status.

If I get stuck I will post here for a "grownup" to help me LOL

Cheers, Mick.

• 2. Administrators

I presume you've loaded the 64 bit version of win 7. If not do so, 32 bit version is not worth the disk it comes on.

Of course when you come to load drivers for everything, make sure you use the 64bit drivers.

• 1. DDz Quorum

i did the move - make sure you down load the file move utility - worked a treat. It makes a copy of all your files and settings in a packed down sort of version, then when you have installed on the machine you can put it all back.

The copy has to go to an external device of course if you are moving from XP. Vista has an upgrade option.

but I am sure there are better minds than mine willing to help (i am suppose to working at the moment and not posting on the forum... ;) )

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~

Well that's a good start.

Kev: I have the Windows7 Pro 32bit version installed ! :huh: I was not aware that there is a problem with it ?

Colin: I have copied my old C drive onto an external HD.

Jedi: Thanks, it may take me a while to rearrange things so I can talk on TS again : )

~S~ P.

• 2. Administrators

Kev: I have the Windows7 Pro 32bit version installed ! :huh: I was not aware that there is a problem with it ?

For a start you won't be able to use all of your RAM unless you use the 64bit version, some of it will just be sitting there unused (in your case about a gig)........

32bit Win7 will not really matter, as I believe the processor that he mentioned is a Pentium D chip, not even a Core2Duo. That is the only one that I can think of that runs 3.4ghz stock, other than maybe the first gen Core i3.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Chaps,

I have been given a little program that by passes the 32bit restriction on reading RAM..........

4GB-RAMPatch-Multilingual-12.7.2010.exe

What do you think ?

I'm told that it has been tried and tested and it works. My M8 used AIDA64 which showed all of his 8GB of ram in use on his Windows7 pro 32bit system.

Propnut: I will check out exactly which processor it has just as soon as I have walked the dog LOL

EDIT: CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E8200, 3200 MHz (8 x 400)

Motherboard Name Asus P5K (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Still not sure if it is going to work, further testing required. If it doesn't I will have to change over to 64bit so no harm in trying : )

~S~ P.

http://http://ark.intel.com/products/33909/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E8200-(6M-Cache-2_66-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB)

If this is your cpu then notice the line in the description - Instruction Set [=] 64-bit.

64 bit is definitely the way forward and I agree with the people who are saying you should apply that rather than peeing about with the 32bit version. The 4Gb fix is just chewing gum at best and I sincerely doubt the AIDA result. If yer mate is using a 32bits OS, why then is he using AIDA 64? :blink:

B

• 2. Administrators

Well, I have used my Win7 x64 disk to create an .iso and then removed the efi check so the resultant disk will now install any version of x64 Win 7 you like. It'll be on it's way to you shortly Mick (I won't be too offended if you decide not to use it :angry: ). Just install the Pro version (select from menu in setup) and use your OEM key to activate it. Job done.

Jabo

P.S. I've just used it to reinstall 7 on my machine this afternoon and it works like a charm.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Chaps,

Thanks very much Nick you have been a star ! Going on the general opinion I guess I will have to install the 64 bit windows 7 but I am still curious to see if that little program will allow the 32 bit OS to "see" more ram :P

Will be buying and fitting 8G of ram tomorrow. Looks like we will be staying in on another TS "date" soon Nick ! LOL

Thanks for all of the advise chaps :D

~S~ P.

PS : anyone need 2x 2GB sticks of OCZ "Reaper" 800Ghz 5-5-5 DDR2 ram with the enormous cooling pipes ? (you can't put them in side by side slots !!)

The 32-bit "fix" might work for windows, but you will not be able to run 64-bit applications and I seriously doubt it will have any effect on applications. 32-bit W7 is nothing more than a vestigial appendage on the windows 7 software.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hmmm....what did the phrase book translate "I'd like a Bacardi and Coke complete with parasol and pink straw please" into? Answers no longer than 2 words, and must exclude "Feck off"

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Chaps,

First of all............LMAO ! :D

Second of all look at this................

With 4x2GB Ram fitted in standard Win7 32bit mode..........

post-316-0-14406600-1335182854_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-23825100-1335182875_thumb.jpg

Now with 4x 2GB Ram fitted in Win7 32bit patched mode.......

post-316-0-59151300-1335183086_thumb.jpg

post-316-0-19550200-1335183210_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert as you guys are painfully aware but the patch seems at least to recognise the extra Ram ?

~S~ P.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Mick.

Stop now and just install 64bit.

If patches like that were deemed robust, ignoring the drivers aspect and inability to run true 64bit apps and any potential issues with Windows update, then you would see this on production systems.

I can tell you one thing for sure, the only advantage to a 32 bit system is it's ability to run 16 bit apps.

Unless you are a geeky nerd with a hankering for the 80's you will never need that.

The vast majority of people and serious gamers are all running 64bit, any one who syas 32 bit is superior is demented and/or seriously deluded.

Any time you move away from the core install by patching to gain extra functionality (yes you can say 'Mods') you are entering a world of potential pain and there will be few with the experience to aid you.

Install 64bit over the top and be done with it, seriously Mick. After 20 plus years in the business that is the best advise I can give you.

PAE and similar workarounds are no more than kludges that will introduce latency, your CPU has to work to do the remapping, why bog it down with more work?