What Microphone Are You Using?

SkyPup

I wasn't ignoring you guys during Tuesday's flying. My microphone tested OK on Windows, but wasn't responding on TeamSqueak. I was getting a transmit light on the TS screen, but no voice going out. Any recommendations for a mic? I'm also open to a headphone/mic. A lot of fancy gaming stuff out there, but I don't know what to look for.

P

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sennheiser pc 130 (USB)

70968.jpg

Logitech G35 (USB)

17299.png

Roccat Cave (5.1 Surround, connected to Creative Xfi Gamer, and USB for power)

w0169580_normal.jpg

Not all three at the same time.

Sennheiser in normal mode, running TS from a second computer. Game sound via 5.1 speaker set.

G35 and Roccat when on 'silent mode', TS and Game sound through the headset.

All three have their own volume controle, Sennheiser and Roccat have that in a controller in the lead, Logitech has a control on the set itself.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Creative fata1ity 1000 headset. I'm happy with it

Same as Jabo, Creative Fatal1ty headset & Mic, Mark II series. I particularly like the way it completely covers the ear, a lot more comfortable.

It came free with the Creative sound card.

• 4 weeks later...

Had my eye on the Rocat Kave, but they would have to be shipped from overseas. Found a pair of Turtle Beach X11s and they are nice. Never knew a Merlin engine sounded so good! And a quick check on TS confirmed the microphone is working right. I got mine at the local Best Buy, but Newegg has them at a good price too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874502007

I use a FSX 3D force feedback headset. It has woofers that vibrate on low frequency sound. Not that brilliant in game but great for listening to rock music. They also make your ears rattle a bit when CanGoose and Rox chip in on teamspeak but no probs from Jedi.

older version of Plantronics I don't see the model number on them, but they're at least 5 years old.

Before that I had an early model of Eddimenionals lasted a couple of years, a wire broke internally and it was too small for me to deal with and my eyesight, File 13

Before that just cheap logitechs.

Creative hs 390

Creative-HS-390-Communications-28377.jpg

It wouldn't be bad for the price if it didn't hurt my head so effin much after an hour or two of wearing.

Gonna buy a Senn in the future

Logitech G35 (USB)

17299.png

You have to be kidding me.....it's ridiculous to which lengths companies will go to produce "gaming hardware" for the kids. And I could guess the price is appropriate.Who the hell needs buttons on a headset? Imagine someone using them buttons for changing views in IL-2 or something :D

• 2 weeks later...

Plantronics 995 wireless

Plantronics-Audio-995_3.jpg

I find wireless devices are Ok if you don't forget to charge them or they die in the middle of something, as well as it don't cause some sort of conflict. I believe the KISS principle is always the best, sometimes fewer bells and whistles is better, but if it works with no problems wireless is great.

I take it that all these headsets use USB, my headset with mic is part of a Sidewinder Voice Command and still uses the stereo type plug connections. Is the USB connection superior now or just more current? Been considering online play, one of the things I have to sort out is mic. The puter is in a family room, lots of background noise, TV etc. Been thinking of having to use the press to speak feature to get around this. Are there any headset / mic set-ups that are better at not picking up background noise? I doubt it, but is would be great to find a throat activated mic, but I doubt they make that for PC.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Plantronics 995 wireless

Plantronics-Audio-995_3.jpg

I find wireless devices are Ok if you don't forget to charge them or they die in the middle of something, as well as it don't cause some sort of conflict. I believe the KISS principle is always the best, sometimes fewer bells and whistles is better, but if it works with no problems wireless is great.

The charging is a matter of routine - I set up my 'cockpit' each time I fly, plugging stuff in sequence as I know it works and doesn't cause conflict - the headset gets unplugged from it's charger lead and plugged back in afterwards. I did forget to charge it right at the start of using it and messed up a great dogfight with BA, hence the routine.

I'm more worried about being caught wandering about downstairs by wifey whilst I'm wearing my hat/quackIR and headset as I top up a drink - the headset has enough range for me to do this and the TIR is wireless too. She has become very understanding and feels she can laugh openly now as opposed to behind my back <_<