Latest Update

Tribunus

Here is my latest update from the fun filled Middle East.

As you can probably imagine, I’ve been pretty busy for the last few days. I was part of the Stay Behind Team that helped get American citizens as well as some other foreigners out of Egypt. By Thursday 3rd we had evacuated all the American military and Embassy personnel that were being ordered out and as many other people as wanted to go.

Friday the 4th the Ambassador decided to order out everyone except a small cadre of Embassy employees and active duty military. At that point they decided that I had done everything they needed me to do, and ordered me to leave. But they did want me to stay close to Egypt as they will need me to be among the first people to return. So I flew to Kuwait, where I can get back to Egypt in about three hours. I got to Kuwait late Saturday the 5th, and was taken to an Agency Safe house .......... No Jim, not that Agency ;)

Sunday the 6th I in-processed at the American Army Base at Camp Arifjan, where I got all my necessary badges and bases passes for Kuwait. That night was first night that I had felt reasonably relaxed in a long time, and I slept for almost eleven hours. So I was more tired than I realized

So for now I’m going to be in Kuwait. I’ve got an office at Camp Arifjan, an apartment in Kuwait City with a nice view of the Persian Gulf and the city skyline. I’ve also got a great big black, four wheel drive Chevy Tahoe to drive. I have no idea why we always use big, black, four by fours. I’m convinced that the bad guys know that the black SUVs are full of Americans.

I’m not sure how long I’ll be here; we’ll have to see how things develop in Egypt.

I’ll try and give you a quick rundown of events for the past couple of weeks.

This all started as a result of the protests in Tunisia that resulted in the collapse of that Government. As you will remember what set off the Tunisian protests was a guy who burnt himself to death. Here in Egypt we had three days straight where we had men copy the Tunisian guy and burn themselves.

Then we had a very tense weekend, that took us to Monday the 21st of February, which was an Egyptian holiday called “Police Day” which honors the hated security police. Being a holiday, eveyone was off work and there were several good size protests going on around the country, protesting against the government. These protests were brutally put down and dispersed by the security police.

That led the protester to begin using the internet and text messages to organize a huge protest for Friday the 25th of February, to start immediately after Noon Prayer. The turnout for this protest caught everyone by surprise.

Let me share some back ground information with you all. There are protests here all the time, but usually they go something like this. If the protesters have 1,000 people, the security police will show up with 3,000. The security police will order the protestors to disperse and if they don’t, they begin to bust open heads and arrest people.

But Friday the 25th after Noon Prayer, tens of thousands of Egyptian took to the streets and there was nothing that the security police could do about it. The security police were badly out number and pushed back all over the city. No one here had ever seen anything like this. Once the security police began to be pushed back, I fully expected that they were going to open fire on the protestors and start an absolute massacre. But for whatever reason that did not happen. What did happen is that the police retreated.

Then in retaliation for their humiliating retreat, the Interior Ministry orders ALL the police off the streets. Security police, regular police, traffic police, everybody. This was done for one reason only; to produce chaos that they hope would paralyze the city. So Friday night was wild. Where I live in Maadi south of downtown, all the police were gone by night fall. As soon as it was dark the police station was attacked, the prisoners were release, weapons were stolen and then it was looted and burnt.

Simultaneously, a big prison about a mile away was attacked and over 6,000 prisoners were released. A little side note needs to be said about the prison break. This particular prison contained a lot of political prisoners. To include Hamas terrorist who had been captured in Egypt. Just two days later these Hamas terrorist were back in Gaza giving interviews to the press. So the prison break was very well planned.

With no police and the streets crawling with armed criminals, we had a wild night. We had shooting and looting going on all around us, literally just two blocks way. Now I’m coming to the part of the story where fact is stranger than fiction. Where I live there is normally a seven man security police detail that sits across the street from my apartment building. In theory they are there to ‘protect’ me, but the real reason is to keep an eye on me and the people who visit me. When this security detail was ordered to abandon their post, it was already dark and no one sent a truck for them, they were just told to leave. But they were afraid to be seen walking on the street in their black security police uniforms, so they decided to hide in the basement of my building. This worked out great for me, because I now had seven AK-47s, along with my 9mm pistol, that I could use to arm people that I knew were reliable. So to make a long story short, after a brief introduction to my armed vigilantes, we convinced the looters to go loot somewhere else.

Saturday night was more of the same, but by then people from all over the neighborhood, were organizing citizen watch groups to guard their stretch of the street. So literally every 100 meters or so, there was some sort of road block manned by men and older boys armed with wooden clubs, golf clubs, knives, occasional pistols and one Nimrod who was running around with an air rifle. The grocery stores that had not been looted opened up and were packed with people trying to buy necessities. To the credit of the Egyptian people this went very, very well. It was crowed and there were long lines, but there was no panic. People took turns and waited patiently in line. And the prices stayed the same, there was no price gouging. The price you saw was the price you paid. I was very impressed by this.

Sunday the 30th, the Egyptian Army showed up. At first it was just a handful, but I could instantly tell by their uniforms and weapons that they were Egyptian Commandos, not just normal Egyptian conscripts. As they began to establish checkpoints and started to send out roving patrols, they very politely asked for the AK-47s to be returned. But by then we did not need them anymore.

Now I will freely admit that my neighborhood is not a typical Egyptian neighborhood. Maadi is home to very affluent Egyptian, Embassy personnel from all over the world to include the Israeli Ambassador and large numbers of influence foreigners. So I’m sure that we were given special treatment by the Egyptian government. So, as the week progressed, our situation got better and better. We gradually, got more Army troops in and even a few regular police showed up. The grocery stores that were open started receiving more food, to include fresh meat and eventually the trash trucks began to run again. Life in Maadi seemed to be returning to normal. But again, Maadi is not a typical Egyptian neighborhood.

As things calmed down and with no rifles, I mustered out my vigilante posse and the Embassy got in touch with me and put me to work. This is where I became part of the team that helped people to leave Egypt. Then once we had that under control, the decision was made to get me out of the country. Although only as far as Kuwait.

This was a sensible decision on the part of the Embassy. Just because things were looking like they might calm down in Egypt, it didn’t mean that it couldn’t get very bad, very quickly. All it takes is one spark and the Egyptian government could once again pull the police and Army off the streets and it could turn back into complete chaos again.

So for now I’m in Kuwait. I’m in one piece and reasonably safe. Fortunately my luck in real life is a lot better than my luck in IL-2. :icon_farao:

I'm very stoked to hear from you, mate! I'm really glad your well, though I was sure you would be, as I've (along with a lot of other people) been praying for you. All things through prayer, even rifles! Now take it easy for a bit, all this excitement isn't good for an old geezer like you.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Glad to hear all is well with yourself.

I think BG was worried the protesters may get a hold of your game and he'll end up having to host again after evening prayer time.

What a mess. Glad you are safe mate. Just read that the riot start all ower again. Some people blame the Muslim Brotherhood to be part of it. One Swedish reporter was badly hurt. He was stabbed many times but did make it after several days in the hospital.

Very impressive story ( and development..) Trib. Let's hope it WILL calm down and not degenarate...i witnessed that 20 years ago , in Bucharest, Romania with Ceausescu . Good luck and good luck again !

Great news!

I'm stoked as BA said that your out, and in one piece.

If you didn't get your pc out, then I hope they find it, and duplicate the game, many times over, and find out there is more to life than rioting.

IL2 FTW!!!!! and think of all that cannon fodder for us. :laughing7:

Did you manage to get your computer and game out?

~S~ BG

No Jim I did not. When I evacuated, all I could take with me was one duffle bag and the backpack that I use for a carry-on. Everything else I own is still in Egypt.

So my gaming computer, my TWO :thefinger: M$ Force Feedback sticks, CH rudder pedals and throttle and brand new Track IR5 are all still in Cairo.

The good news is that I before I left, I was able to get my computer gear, as well as other valuables, packed up and placed in my office at the USAID building. The USAID building is a fairly well fortified walled compound, with U.S. Embassy security 24 hours a day. So it should be a much safer place than my apartment to store my important and high value items that I couldn't take with me.

Now I obviously don't work for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID,) that is just part of my cover story over here, as well as being a convenient spot to have a office. :icon_farao:

Now take it easy for a bit, all this excitement isn't good for an old geezer like you.

I resemble that remark.

Trust me Mate, I am painfully aware that I am no longer a 22 year old Paratrooper.

Emphasis on the pain, I'm sure........

Good to hear 'alles klar' Trib.

...I’ve also got a great big black, four wheel drive Chevy Tahoe to drive. I have no idea why we always use big, black, four by fours. I’m convinced that the bad guys know that the black SUVs are full of Americans....

As long as you've got that black SUV with the hidden mini-gun turret that pops out of the roof! :laughing7:

BRRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP.....

Now that Hosni has stepped aside I wonder if we will look back on this and think he wasn't such a bad guy. I guess it all depends where Egypt goes from here. Military seems to be in charge and I hope they proceed with free democrat elections soon. What's your read on it "Our man in Kuwait? BTWw I hope the grub is better in Kuwait.

Now that Hosni has stepped aside I wonder if we will look back on this and think he wasn't such a bad guy. I guess it all depends where Egypt goes from here.

If the old regime is swept away they'll dig up all sorts of sh*t thats been covered up. Y'know; torture, execution, corruption, etc. the usual stuff but it really depends on how much loot Mubarak and his friends and family have managed to trouser over the years. If it really is tens of billions as has been alledged then I think the new lot in power will want it back with menaces.

Great read Trib, even if I'm 3 days late. Wave to Mubarak for me when you'll be flying back and passing over his boat inbound for Saudi Arabia.

I give Iran's regime 10 years at most, if nothing, a generation shift will be its ultimate demise. The beginning of its end was set in motion 18 months ago.

I know that at first glance democracy in this part of the world seems far fetched, but I still think there's a lot more chance of that happening than people give it credit for, especially in Tunisia. Times change, hopefully the Egyptians will send the VP running for Saudi land also.

Yemen is a completely different story though, a medieval tribal s**thole that won't have secular democracy in a million years even if it falls on them from the sky...

I wish I had your optimism guys.

Iran really is no different from Egypt. Same beliefs that the young will force change...instead they end up in prison cells awaiting execution or dispersed. Whether 30 years ago when the Shah was overthrown...or just recently with their protests.

The youth of 'modern' Islam are more radicalized than those of the past.

The youth of Iran overwhelmingly oppose the crazy clerics...but they are not in power and are frankly overwhelmed by a smaller, but more aggressive number of 'true believers'. Iran is on the short-list for getting the crap bombed out of them by Israel and the US...and yet the population is happy to sit back and be ruled by nutjob dictators.

Look at the UK. The vast majority of UK'ers oppose Sharia law and special privileges for the Mussies...but who do you think is winning there? Hint: it ain't the middle class majority Christians.

The first guy in Egypt that is telegenic and stands up and blames the US and Israel for Mubarak will run the country. And I'm betting it is a cleric or some other Islamic nut.