Russian Justice On The High Seas

B16Enk

• 1. DDz Quorum

Read the text BEFORE starting the video.

Once the Pirates have been overcome they put them under guard,

search and videotape the weapons, etc., that prove the men there are not

"fishermen" but pirates, then they handcuff them to their boat, set

demolition charges, and return to their ship. The pirate boat then is

exploded and the boat and everyone on board go to the bottom of the sea

via a raging inferno:

RUSSIAN NAVY CAPTURES SOMALIAN PIRATES

This videotape shows Russian Navy commandos on a Somalian

pirate ship shortly after the pirates had captured a Russian oil

tanker. The Euro Union navy that patrols these waters would not interfere

because they feared there could be casualties.

All speaking is in Russian with a single exception of when a

wounded pirate says something in English. If you don't understand

Russian, the pictures speak for themselves.

The soldiers freed their compatriots and the tanker. The

Russian Navy Commandos moved the pirates back to their own (pirate) ship,

searched the pirate ship for weapons and explosives, and then they left

the ship and exploded it with all remaining pirates hand-cuffed to it.

The commandos sank the pirate ship along with ;the pirates

and without any court proceedings, lawyers etc. That is, they used the

anti-piracy laws of the 18th and 19th centuries where the captain of the

rescuing ship had the right to decide what to do with the pirates.

I would think from now on, Russian ships will not be targets for Somalia

pirates.

http://true-turtle.livejournal.com/85315.html

i would rather not jump to conclusions. i do not see on the tape that they left the prisoners on the ship and i do not see that the end of the tape actually is related to the beginning.

i sow many walls in Zagreb that have pussy written on them but never sow anyone trying to put hes penis in it.

and to be honest about situations like this; i doubt that i would bother to bring Osama Bin Laden to the justice if i would have the chance to finish te problem on the spot.

just my 2 cc

While I believe deeply in the rule of law, and am in general against summary executions (I don't consider self defense here), I doubt that there is any other effective way of dealing with these types. It's a simple case of fighting fire with fire, however disturbing.

I'm with BA here, the Russians are known for being quite barbarous at times, and I would prefer a more refined approach, however some situations call for a slight increase in pressure. Not sure I like what the ruskies are doing though, but sometimes you have to kill some of the bastards. Atleast the pirates in the spanish main had some style.

I think the Russians are in the right here (there's a surprise). And they are within their rights from what I understand re: piracy on the high seas.

This hearkens back to the old days (ok, the 70's and 80's) when in Beirut and the middle east the Americans were getting blown up, diplomats and CIA agents kidnapped and killed...but on one touched the Russians. The one time it happened the KBG hunted them down and killed the whole cell rather gruesomely.

We (Canada) have a pansy catch and release policy. Those that are caught are simply dumped back on land. I'm sure we even compensate them for the loss of their boat.

PS: we should let Andy J in on this discussion...lol

I'm sorry that I don't have any understanding of spoken Russian, as I would really like to hear the part where someone says "handcuff these guys to the boat and then sink it". If that isn't said, then the pictures don't really say anything at all.

B

• 1. DDz Quorum

Original post was somewhat tongue in cheek, as has been observed at no point do you actually see the pirates being transferred to their ship.

However if it were true I think I for one would applaud, Somali being a lawless ungoverned spawn this may be one way of curtailing their activities :)

The film clip starts off with the pirates on their own ship, but then they are clearly on the Russian ship when they are shown sitting with their hands tied or handcuffed behind their backs. Only then do we see the pirate ship being blown up.

I saw nothing that would indicate to me that the pirates were back on their own ship when it was blown up.

So I agree with Gec and Jedi, I don’t believe that the pirates were summarily killed.

Not that I would disagree with that course of action.

It's simple really - start carrying out mass executions of Somalian pirates and the situation will escalate, with Somalis carrying out revenge killings on hostage crews. It would get very ugly very quickly. The Russian approach seems quite balanced really as the coverage of the re-taking of the tanker "Moscow University" shows. It's clear the Russians have thought out their approach - with a secure area to retreat to, with access to the ship's controls and radio facilities - and a response force at hand to carry out an assault and re-take the ship with the only casualty a pirate who was stupid enough to shoot back. Fair play to them - we could take a lesson there.

• 2 weeks later...