Windows Sux

DD_Brando

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I came home from work to find a message on my comp stating that AVG has isolated an infected file. The file was il2fb.exe. I looked and scanned and nothing. Ignore.

Then I see Win7 updates ready to instal so I do that, reboot and I no longer have an il2fb.exe anywhere. No shortcut, no exe in the game folder. 

A system restore brought it back but I had that cold fear in the pit of my stomach for a while.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Yesterday I came home from work to find a message on my comp stating that AVG has isolated an infected file. The file was il2fb.exe. I looked and scanned and nothing. Ignore.

Then I see Win7 updates ready to instal so I do that, reboot and I no longer have an il2fb.exe anywhere. No shortcut, no exe in the game folder. 

A system restore brought it back but I had that cold fear in the pit of my stomach for a while.

AVG has done that before. Falsely reporting il2fb.exe as being infected...

It will probably do it again, somewhere in the future.

Perf, why not create a backup copy of IL2 on an external disk? Or USB Stick? Keep it somewhere safe, disconnected.

Me thinks it's could be an easier repair than System Restore... though you'd first have to fix/update AVG... before attempting to copy the file from the backup ... 

• 2. Administrators

AV programs piss me off by the way they want to take over the system. Any recommendations on one? Effective but arms-length?

Good idea on the USB stick though.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

changed my virus/firewall software last month to this from McAfee on Rog's recommendation. 

seems to be doing an great job, in that i haven't had any problems, and haven't noticed it at all.

no one was more surprised than me!

+1 for security essentials. have it on few computers now. no problems for now. 

of course, to repeat my self for 100th time, the best AV will not save you from your self. 

I've been an Avira customer since about 1996. They were free back then, as AntiVir, which is still available. I stayed on the freebie for about 5-6 years until it struck me that I should be paying something back. Our house computers are now all covered by Avira Premium, and the discount for paying 2 or 3 years up front is very generous. 

I haven't really experienced many of the others at first hand. I've rescued a few of my friends from the likes of Norton, McAfee and AVG over the years - last time was an AVG snafu - just last week.

We used to look for AV programs that didn't use too much processing power but I was just thinking today how little that matters now.

I'm flying a 10 year old flight sim made when processors were 1 mhz. Now we have multi-core with at least 3 mhz and framerate hasn't been an issue for years.

The old issues aren't really that important.

• 2. Administrators

Having had a look at this thread, I appear to be in a minority as I am using Norton Internet Security (2013) and have been using this in various guises for the last 3 - 4 years with barely a glitch (and those I have had have been mosly caused by me :rolleyes:). I get a nice montly report of the things it's allegedly protected me from but ofther than that it doesn't really get in the way. I'll look into MS SE when the renewal comes around though.

Jabo