Re: Just thought I'd say....re TS

DD_Brando

As many of you already know, I only have one arm.

I've adapted, as the Borg would say, - and built my own special stick and have a good cockpit set-up - but I've still never found the space on my HOTAS to map a Press-to-talk button.

In fact, when I think about it, it's not really even a matter of having an available button.

The trouble is that when I really need to call "check your six" or "break, break!" I'm usually engaged in rolling my throttle on, tweaking the trim, adjusting the view, and hopefully firing the guns to get the bandit off your tail! There's a limit to what one hand can manage.

So I rely on the convenience of voice-activation with Teamspeak. I want to say that I've been doing this for years now, and I'm pretty sure that my settings are adjusted so that you won't hear any outside noise or heavy breathing. Please feel free to complain if you do and I will do some superfine tweaking.

See you up there,

B :dog:

A while ago I thought I could get the brake feature on the rudder pedals to work as a Push To Talk button.

The brakes only use one pedal, not both.

Dunno what you use or if you use pedals but my stick has a pinkie shift button, maybe shift+toe button as brakes and toe for PTT?

Never could get the programming right (hate the new SST software) and gave up but

I use pedals. I did try using the left pedal as my mike key, but I found it tricky to use while I was kicking rudder left. I would often find that I'd opened the channel by accident, or vice versa. I guess the best answer would be if I could make press-to-talk into a toggle command rather than a hold-down. Maybe someone knows of a way to rig that?

As for extra 'bits' - well I've already made quite a few. Before I had rudder pedals I used one of those hole-punchers (used for filing documents) as a foot switch. It was wired directly to the shift function in my FF Pro joystick and allowed me to double the number of commands available at the top of the stick. It was neat, but the advent of XP killed the Shift function on MS sticks and I moved on.

Now I use an adapted stick made up from two CH fightersticks and using the left-handed conversion available from a CH fan who makes them.

B

• 1. DDz Quorum

I use voice activated all the time, just have to watch mic sensitivity that's all, and not eat apples when flying gunner for jabo, or sandwiches, or slurp tea, he gets up set about in flight catering for some reason.

glad to have you fly with us sir.

Friar

• 2. Administrators

I use voice activated all the time, just have to watch mic sensitivity that's all, and not eat apples when flying gunner for jabo, or sandwiches, or slurp tea, he gets up set about in flight catering for some reason.

glad to have you fly with us sir.

Friar

LOL, don't get me started...

Welcome Brando - good to fly with you last Saturday.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Like the others stated: no problem with hearing you Brando!

Me too use voice activation.

Works quite well... I guess... haven't heard of any issues as of yet that is. (Well, one exception: When in a 110, with unmodded sound, sometimes starting them DB engines just appear to make the volume knob move up a bit, and up a bit more... throttling up may have caused my mike thinking I was using my voice... B) So sorry guys!)

Brando, Good to See and Hear you up there!

Ft.

No sweat m8. Just keep doing it the way you are used to. Damn sure don't need to put anything extra on your plate and I for one would appreciate it that you are free to warn of incoming bandits on my six or elsewhere. I for one have always used voice activation. I just keep the sensitivity up high enough to only open my mic when I am talking fairly loud. And if I ever find myself having to remove my headphones to go and take care of a little PB in the middle of a flight, I just mute my mic before removing my headphones and lying them down.

Tis good to finally have an opportunity to meet you on comms and do some flying with you Brando. Truly is awesome!