My brother's on his way out....

Rattler

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Pete M8,

I to hope for you brothers safe return ! I have the greatest of respect for all the guys and gals who do our fighting for us.

One of my best friends on Blue watch has just started a one year sabbatical to go to Afghanistan for a six month tour later this year. He is in the territorial SAS and is an ex Royal Marine Commando.

I'll be hoping they both make it back OK sir.

~S~ Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

Me brother just left this morning. Little bugger got his assignment changed - no longer in the Provincial Reconstruction Team (which stays near the airport at Kandahar) but now part of the Lord's Strathcona Horse (RC) battlegroup.

While it's outside the "wire", I think that he'll still be very safe - he knows lots of the guys, and the Sergeant-Major is an ex-Brit buddy of mine and a Gulf War 1 veteran; he'll look after Derek quite nicely.

Having all those Leopard 2 A6M's around is also nice - walk loudly and carry a real BIG stick, and all that!

I hope to keep in touch with him as much as possible, and will post pics and emails that he can get out.