DangerDogz Move To Discord For Main Comms - Please Vote / Comment ×

Flaky TeamSpeak - Time to move to Discord?

Friar

Time To Change Our Comms To Discord  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be OK with Using Discord For Our Main Comms Channel

• Yes - Fine by me
    • Yes - But never used it before
    • No - We should keep Teamspeak - (Please give a reason in the thread)

• 1. DDz Quorum

Salute,

During the DCS session last night we lost TeamSpeak again. I was able to re-start it with no issue but this now seems to be a regular issue (it happened during Mondays session as well).

I believe that the level of Discord we require is free (open to being corrected) and that we pay for Teamspeak.

It seems that the majority of us that play these days already have Discord installed so would not be too much of an issue moving?

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
2 hours ago, delta7 said:

Before jumping could we contact Rog over reason for this, why the server isnt able to cope with teamspeak? I only prefer ts due to familiarity 

Two weeks ago I've sent him an email on this issue. Have not heard back yet.

(What I suspect is some timed procedure is running 'round 22:00hrs UK time ... )

Figures I just got the TS fired up last night. Discord is Fine I've had one hosted for a few years now. 

When I get home I can share it's info and you can just run a few test on it before troubling yourselves over making  one. 

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sorry chaps, must have got into my spam filter!
Not aware until now there was an issue with TS on new host, and there isn't a scheduled job running at 22:00... Digging into it now.

For what it is worth, TS license is free!

I do have a standalone VM that is more than capable of running TS3 and if the votes are to keep it I can very easily move it (we would use a domain name like ts.dangerdogz.com).

Thoughts?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Friar said:

@delta7 Please record your vote in the ballot box at the top of this thread.

I really don't have a strong opinion;and there is not an option for both. if discord works fine then I'd use it but id like to keep teamspeak option if reliable 

• 1. DDz Quorum

As a veteran of Discord I can wholeheartedly endorse its adoption; it also comes with some pretty cool functionality that IMHO rather makes TS seem limited and somewhat antiquated.

For example, the inherent ability to stream your screen or app so that others can see what you’re doing on your computer is a massive advantage for briefing/debriefing or instructing others or even just allowing someone who’s not flying - maybe due to illness, tech issues or just not feeling it - to join in the social side of the dogs and still have visibility and therefore some understanding of what’s occurring.

• Like 5

• 1. DDz Quorum
1 hour ago, Perfesser said:

China spyware

You think there should be 15 updates every time you start it?

Mêh... proper spyware will not show any updates. Or hardly any. Like TeamSpeyk. All them Discord updates? Marketing it is.  If you got nothing new to announce, people will move to somewhere else where there is new stuff. Even if you have nothing new to show, you try and make it look like you do... Bloatware.

The moment your device connects to the internet ... you are being spied upon.

Oh well..  :)

On 9/8/2024 at 4:30 PM, FoolTrottel said:

Mêh... proper spyware will not show any updates. Or hardly any. Like TeamSpeyk. All them Discord updates? Marketing it is.  If you got nothing new to announce, people will move to somewhere else where there is new stuff. Even if you have nothing new to show, you try and make it look like you do... Bloatware.

The moment your device connects to the internet ... you are being spied upon.

Oh well..  :)

Your phone is connected to big brother and his wannabe's even while you sleep, same with any of your smart fart stuff, including your robot floor sweeper. Accept it, or go off the grid are your only options nowadays. And off the grid will still leave you with the onlookers from the sky.

• Like 1