Uk Tv Heads Up!

BluBear

Saw this on the key publishing forums:

Eric "Winkle" Brown - BBC2 Tonight

Apologies if this has already been posted but "Britain's Greatest Pilot" at 2100 with Eric taking us through his life. Not to be missed.

I know! I liked the way they left him to tell his story himself, no overblown narration or dramatic music. Perfect. And he's still very lucid at 95!!

@toad - not sure I can help but one of the other uk dogz may be able to?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hey BB,

Having attended one of Captain Browns lectures in Chichester a couple of weeks ago I know what you mean. He is so sharp and eloquent even at his age. He signs books, shakes hands and is a delight to listen to. He had his charming wife by his side and I think he is about to retire from public speaking.

He said he was good friends with Niel Armstrong and as a result was asked to train as an astronaut but when he was told he must become an American citizen first well, in his own words, "that was that" LOL.

Recorded the program (because I was flying, lol). Just about to watch it now.

Cheers,  P.

Never understood the reason why Brits have to change nationality to become astronauts, seems no other country has to, it's weird if you check the list of NASA space shuttle crews you don't see a single british flag yet I know at least 3 brits crewed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Space_Shuttle_crews

Hmmm...not sure if thats quite true Bongo.  Wasn't Colin Foale one of the most experienced astronauts in the shuttle programme?  Even though he lives - I think - in Houston, he's a Brit but he has dual citizenship due to his mum being an American.

Helen Sharman is 100% British but stayed on the Mir space station courtesy of a Soyuz so didn't have to go the NASA route and I'm not sure who the third one is unless you count the Anglo-South African multi-millionaire who's name escapes me.  He bought his ticket for a ride on a Soyuz launch.

Space and Astronauts?  Always a good primary school project!   

• 1. DDz Quorum

That is true Crash,

He had a healthy rivalry and friendship with fellow test pilot Chuck Yeager during the race to break the sound barrier.

In fact at the end of the lecture Captain Brown was asked the question " is there any type that you wish you had flown but never got the chance?"

A wry smile and ....."the X1"

Much laughter.

P.

but Foale worked for NASA strictly under his US citizenship i.e. US flag patch on the spacesuit, there is also Piers sellers and Nicholas Patrick with exactly the same status, Greg H Jonson was british born but grew up American

The US does not recognise the concept of dual citizenship.  As far as US law goes, if you have a US passport you are a US citizen. Period.  Sellers and Patrick became naturalised US citizens before they went into orbit but they'd made they're lives in the 'states for many years beforehand.  I must admit, I'm not sure who Greg H Jonson is.

I might be wrong but wasn't the first non US citizen carried in a NASA spacecraft  a Jeeeeerman?  The nominee of the ESA.

Sellers had many applications to NASA rejected on the grounds of nationality, he had to have US citizenship to finally be accepted, that's the point I'm making, only Brits seem to have to become American before they can get on a US spacecraft, the US must accept dual citizenship otherwise it wouldn't be possible to have dual UK/US citizenship.

On reflection I think I know the answer, probably something to do with state sponsorship, the UK doesn't sponsor cool stuff like astronauts.

Sellers had many applications to NASA rejected on the grounds of nationality, he had to have US citizenship to finally be accepted, that's the point I'm making, only Brits seem to have to become American before they can get on a US spacecraft, the US must accept dual citizenship otherwise it wouldn't be possible to have dual UK/US citizenship.

I wasn't aware he had many applications rejected on the grounds of nationality but he was joining the NASA astronaut programme as opposed to the NASA hearts and minds in space programme.  I suspect that anyone of any nationality would find themselves under the same constraints if they applied to become an astronaut - as opposed to a publicity vehicle - at that time.

The US does not recognize dual citizenship for its own citizens.  Its not unique in that either.  The Soviet Union did the same.  Unlike the Soviet Union, the USA has a constitution that forbids government the right to invade their citizens property and confiscate passports issued by other nations without due cause.  Neither does possession of a foreign passport give the US government the right to forbid residency to a US citizen. 

A friend of mine lives in Northern Ohio with his american wife and his american kids.  The kids also have British passports.  As far as he's concerned his kids are Brits.  His wife is firmly of the opinion her kids are Americans. :P

Not sure why the reference to NASA hearts and minds, the fact remains there have been Italian, French, Israeli, Russian, Ukrainian, Canadian, Swiss, German, Dutch, Saudi, Mexican, Japanese, Spanish and Swedish National who have been on NASA crews all of whom retained their nationality and had the flag on the spacesuit, other than my thoughts on state sponsorship I was simply wondering why the Brits had to become American before they could do the job.

Not sure why the reference to NASA hearts and minds, the fact remains there have been Italian, French, Israeli, Russian, Ukrainian, Canadian, Swiss, German, Dutch, Saudi, Mexican, Japanese, Spanish and Swedish National who have been on NASA crews all of whom retained their nationality and had the flag on the spacesuit, other than my thoughts on state sponsorship I was simply wondering why the Brits had to become American before they could do the job.

The very nature of NASA and the size of its budget means its an enormous political football.  What do I mean by hearts and minds? Look at the long list of countries you've given us.  A Saudi astronaut? That's about waving to the cameras, wearing the flag and making sure the next big defence contract his uncle signs will be with a US company.

The er... ex-Brits on the other hand, do indeed appear to be doing a meaningful job within NASA. 

The very nature of NASA and the size of its budget means its an enormous political football.  What do I mean by hearts and minds? Look at the long list of countries you've given us.  A Saudi astronaut? That's about waving to the cameras, wearing the flag and making sure the next big defence contract his uncle signs will be with a US company.

The er... ex-Brits on the other hand, do indeed appear to be doing a meaningful job within NASA.

I have no doubt about the Saudi being about lucrative contracts, the ex Brits.....who are still Brits with dual citizenship and in receipt of things like OBE's as recently as 2011 still had to become Americans, but Mexicans and Belgians don't?

The Mexicans and Belgians flew for much the same reasons the Saudi guy flew and in the future I've no doubt there will be Malaysian, Filipino and Vietnamese passengers astronauts flying NASA too.

For most of these people, forget about the window-dressing of scientific research, its about being a pal of Uncle Sam.  If they were US citizens they would not have flown.