Flying Legends 2012 Attendees

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Likewise Zooly, it won't be the same without you and Debs there but family first as always. Hope things take a turn for the better soon m8.

Jabo

P.S. I think Jedi might be looking for a room - could be worth a quick PM to him.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would just like to echo the sentiments of the other guys Zooly. It won't be quite the same without you old chap. I too hope things improve for you as soon as possible. All the best mate.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Zooly old bean,

I hope you will miss us as much as we will miss you M8 ;) Bloody shame you and your good lady can't make it this year.

Best of luck getting things sorted.

~S~ Painless.

I was thinking it might be a good idea, but I was going to wait until I know what the contents will be (if it's cucumber sandwiches (crusts off) and Bacardi I might not bother - on the other hand if it's pies and bottles of Spitfire...)

Jabo

:angry:

WTF !!!

I am in tears here .

~S~ Speechless. :P

Bit of bad news from me now. 'Fraid I won't be attending Flying Legends this year (again!). Earlier this week my wife agreed to do the flowers at short notice for a wedding on this weekend. This involves wifey and her business partner working 'til around midnight on Friday night putting together the bouquets, button-holes and table decorations and delivering them and setting up at the venue on the Saturday morning. It's worth a shit-load of cash to us. The problem is my youngest son. Actually my youngest son is not a problem at all, he's the apple of my eye! :D but I cannot find anyone to look after him on Friday evening/Saturday morning. My eldest boys are still at Uni. or working on Saturday morning.

As some of you know, this time last year I went down to four teaching days a week and I lost all my responsibility points too (don't seemed to have lost the responsibility though, lol). The financial effects of this mean my salary covers the mortgage, household bills, food, etc but being twenty percent down means we've lost the 'cream' for all the nice things in life like holidays, graphics cards, airshows and so on. I can't really complain as my wife's business is growing quite nicely but is an awful lot of hard work too. Her income would be paying for this little trip anyway. So this bit of business is not something we can turn away unfortunately.

Jabo, check p.m's.

• 2. Administrators

Dang. This pesky economic downturn is even affecting the DDz days out! Sorry to hear this Arthur. All things being equal, if the post-Duxford tour takes us over your way, perhaps you could meet us at Yeovilton?

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Jedi too? Darn.

For Sweper (and others) who've asked about joining the 'Friends of TFC' and thereby getting cheaper access to Duxford on non-airshow days and free access to the flightline walk at Legends, the link is;

http://www.fighter-c...on.com/subs.htm

Minimum price £10 UK and worldwide

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Arthur, Jedi,

Bloody shame you boyz can't make it. I don't suppose a compromise would be possible, you know like one evening and one day perhaps ? We are watching the airshow Saturday and Sunday remember ;)

You've probably already thought of that right ?

~S~ Painless.

Jedi too? Darn.

For Sweper (and others) who've asked about joining the 'Friends of TFC' and thereby getting access to Duxford on non-airshow days and free access to the flightline walk at Legends, the link is;

http://www.fighter-c...on.com/subs.htm

Minimum price £10 UK and worldwide

Jabo

Thanks Nick. (In)officially I´m now a member. Hope I get the "ticket" till then.

• 2. Administrators

Just in case further whetting of appetites are required, some great photos of SNAFU and the baby Spit at Duxford today here;

http://forum.keypubl...3&postcount=982

Jabo

P.S. They're not mine, I wish they were. DCW over at the Historic Aircraft forum is the (far too) talented chap with a camera.

Just in case further whetting of appetites are required, some great photos of SNAFU and the baby Spit at Duxford today here;

http://forum.keypubl...3&postcount=982

Jabo

P.S. They're not mine, I wish they were. DCW over at the Historic Aircraft forum is the (far too) talented chap with a camera.

Nice pics. With a bit more sun and better optics... He is using a Canon 7D with a 100-400 zoom. You can check his EXIF data on each photo if you follow the link to Flickr. Click on camera type at top right of the page after opening/clicking a photo.

BTW. Have not got my membership card yet.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Oww... carp...

But, so very British: "The museum confirmed the visitor centre had been damaged but the attraction was open to the public as normal."

(...)

"IWM Duxford is open as normal, with entry to the museum via the visitor car park, as usual."

Keep calm and...

• 2 weeks later...

P-38 again - whoooooooot!!!!! :D :D :D

Flying participation announced for the 2012 Flying Legends Air Show

With only three weeks to go to this year’s Flying Legends Air Show on Saturday 30 June and Sunday 1 July, The Fighter Collection and IWM Duxford are delighted to announce some of the stunning aircraft that will be flying in this year’s extravaganza event.

Flying Legends sees the air show debut of The Fighter Collection’s Republic P-47G Thunderbolt 42-25068 ‘Snafu’, one of only two Curtiss-built examples left in the world. (See Editors Notes for a full aircraft biography).

The Sikorsky S-38 makes its UK debut at Flying Legends. An American twin-engine eight-seat amphibious aircraft, it was sometimes called ‘The Explorer’s Air Yacht’ and was Sikorsky’s first widelyproduced amphibious flying boat. In addition to serving with Pan American Airways and the United States Army, the Sikorsky S-38 was owned by numerous private individuals, including aviators Howard Hughes and Charles Lindbergh.

Making a welcome return following their debut UK air show appearance at Flying Legends last year is the Flying Bulls’ Lockheed P-38 Lighting and the Chance Vought F4U-4 Corsair. The Flying Bulls’ stunning aerial performances will no doubt wow the crowds at Flying Legends.

Flying Legends is famous for presenting a unique combination of remarkable aircraft in superb aerial displays and this year is no different.

Over fifty aircraft will be participating, including two Hispano Buchon; eight Spitfires covering various marques, including two Mark One variants; three Hawker Sea Furies; three Hawk variants including the Hawk 75, the P40B and the P40F; three marques of YAK fighters; a Fiesler Storch and a Lysander. Three First World War aircraft – the Nieuport 17, Fokker DR1 and Sopwith Triplane - will fly together for the first time. The ever-popular Breitling Wingwalkers will perform as a two-ship display. And of course, there will be displays by the famous IWM Duxford-based B-17 Flying Fortress, Sally B and the PBY Catalina Miss Pick Up.

The legendary Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Supermarine Spitfire, Avro Lancaster and Hawker Hurricane will display on Saturday 30 June only, while on Sunday 1 July only the Aerostars perform stunning aerobatics.