black screen of death

JensenPark

when the comp starts does the monitor have a green light then go into standby after about 5 secs, if so then there are a few causes in order of easiest to do

1) cables into monitor from to gfx card, check they are in and secure

2)power cable on monitor check it is in pwr socket and there is power getting to the monitor

3) if you can get hold of a spare monitor and it works try the other one again

4) if you can see inside the comp check fan on gfx card is running (if you have a fan)

5)try reseating the gfx card, quite fiddly all you should really need to do is gently nudge the agp/pci e slot lock device a little so the card lifts a few mm(100ths of inch depending on your type of measuring) and then push the card gently down again

6) reset the bios, but you will have to go into the bios and change

After (2) try this if you have a flat-screen TFT or LCD monitor:

Boot up the computer and wait for the normal time it takes to enter Windows

Hold a strong light behind the monitor, so that it's shining into the cooling slots. It helps if the room itself is in semi darkness, ie no other light sources. If the backlight in the monitor is not functioning this trick will usually show the screen and whether Windows is actually functioning. If windows is working and you can see the desktop then it's probably a monitor problem. If so, give a shout and I'll check the (relatively cheap) fix for you.

B :dog:

Oh man I'm so curious.

Hack a big hole in the back of the monitor case and shine a light in?

:) The fix? Nothing quite so drastic - either a replacement part (offered by some of the manufacturers) or a couple of caps that need replacing with a soldering iron (if the manufacturer won't help).

B :dog:

Was there a power outage while you were away for that time?

When that occurs to me, my monitor stays black until I turn it off, unplug it, plug it back in and turn it on again. Seems it resets something internally with the unplug/plug in routine.

Strange about the u/s USB's. Did you check the host controllers in Control Panel--->Hardware---> Device Manager?

Was there a power outage while you were away for that time?

When that occurs to me, my monitor stays black until I turn it off, unplug it, plug it back in and turn it on again. Seems it resets something internally with the unplug/plug in routine.

That's a good hint & worth a try

• 2. Administrators

You can test the PSU by shorting out the the green and black wires on the main mobo connector (obviously you need to disconnect it from the mainboard first). There's only one green wire, and it doesn't matter which black wire you use. It'll tell you if your PSU is dead at any rate.

Jabo

You can test the PSU by shorting out the the green and black wires on the main mobo connector (obviously you need to disconnect it from the mainboard first). There's only one green wire, and it doesn't matter which black wire you use. It'll tell you if your PSU is dead at any rate.

Jabo

obviosly you dont want to hold the pins in place (hope im not insulting you intel there), i find using a paperclip between green and black and then turn on, if the fans go on the woot if not the psu is dead, be aware thou you psu can still have certain