Switchbox Mk.3

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Some pictures of the MkIII switchbox project including new rudder pedal connector

dyjymy8e.jpg

qeseruhy.jpg

A few things still need to be completed, particularly the remaining switches need to be installed as does the elevator trim pot.

All the switches are SPDT type mapped onto a keypress using SVMapper. Simples!

Thanks to FT for his old pedals. They seem to be working fine in their new home!

Very nice Jabo.  I'm curious.  You've got the pedals which is what the 9 pin female connector is for?  I've got the throttle and stick.  I'm using the throttle o.k. by connecting it to the stick with it's own 9 pin connector and then plugging the stick USB into my PC.

I'm not using the stick. It's out of the way on the floor at the moment. Could I connect the throttle only to my PC by using a 9 pin to USB adapter?

• 2. Administrators

Indeed. The box contains a Bodnar board and a whole mass of wires, the 9 pin connector is to allow the rudder pedals to connect to the Bodnar and therefore allows the axes to be mapped in game.

I am considering changing some of the switches for buttons, but have yet to find any I'm happy with. There are a surprising number of functions which can be covered here as is though. Lighting for example - that's three, Bomb-bay doors? Canopy open/close, track record, engine selectors...the list goes on. Use it in DCS and I don't have enough switches!

@Arthur - By using something like this, you could do away with the stick and attach the throttle to the bodnar with the 9-pin and then map the axes in game.

Jabo.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ M8, 

Looks the part Nick, very nice indeed. Will the prototype be finished soon ?

If so I would like 10,000 of them with the usual DDz 10% discount but with the casing or "box" constructed of T&G 40 thou gauge transparent Ash.

Any problems call : 08715 50 80 80

Jeremy deals with bulk delivery dates : )

~S~ Painintheass. :P

• 2. Administrators

I'd like to find the enthusiasm to do this, anywhere on the Net I could order sosme of it cheap :rolleyes:

Enthusiasm? :blink:

On a more serious note, all the components have been purchased from ebay and my local Maplin store. Aside from that, a bit of light drilling and soldering and Robert is your mother's brother.

Jabo

P.S. Unless you're asking me to make one for you that is...

I'm diging that much! The box looks the perfect size. I'm still trying to fugure out how to make multi turn trim wheels and be able to re- center them between missions. (some sort of gear drive whith an indicator needle would be needed methinks)

• 2. Administrators

In this case Chet, I'm using 360 deg pots with a centre detent to identify the mid point. Bear in mind that that's giving me 512 steps either side of the mid point

I'd like to find the enthusiasm to do this, anywhere on the Net I could order sosme of it cheap :rolleyes:

I usually order my stuff from Jameco. There are also some good deals on switches, particularly these or these. I've used them a few times. Probably the best place I've found joystick/mouse replacement parts like tact and micro switches . It's also where I get my IR LEDs from . 2.93 with free shipping for 20 is a bit hard to beat. Straight out of China, they are perfectly legit. The shipping's a little slow but it is free after all. Oh and don't tell anyone bye the way. Its been my little secret Chinese connection. I wouldn't want everyone buying up all the good parts. ^_^

They also have some really cool stuff like this and this. Just look browse the site for a while and you'll find all sorts of things. 

Jameco

Toggle Switches

More Toggle Switches

Tact Switches

IR LEDs

P.S.

On a side note, if anyone needs or is looking to upgrade their soldering station, I would highly recommend this one.

Dont think they stock enthusiasm though Mayhem ;)

Sure do, its right in between the sarcasm and facetiousness. Though I was hoping some of mine would rub off on TOAD for free.  :file_nails:  

Actually Arthur, the bug is only noticeable when you need to make small adjustments like staying in position whilst in formation. The stretchy wire issue can cause false inputs from the top hats, rotaries and buttons so its worth checking that its been done.

The stretchy wire thing I'm hoping has been sorted by FT pulling it apart.  Not had any problems with formation flying yet - at least not in RoF - throttle much more 'useable' than the one on my MSFFB.   Like it.

You were right about the weather today Crash.  High tide in an hour and a half when amphibious operations recommence! :P

• 2. Administrators

Nearly there now, just need to cut down the shafts on the trim pots so the knobs fit properly (break out the dremel for that I think) and we're there. Unfortunately I had to change the switch supplier halfway through and the new ones are slightly different. Meh.

For those that are interested, the dimensions of the box are 195 x 110 x 60mm

post-406-0-44363600-1375905593_thumb.jpg

post-406-0-07997500-1375905616_thumb.jpg

post-406-0-44363600-1375905593_thumb.jpg

Jabo

post-406-0-63544000-1375905646_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...