Merlin-Powered '55 Chevy

SkyPup

Just when you thought you'd seen everything....

:icon_cyclops_ani:

There was a time when Rolls Royce would have sent a polite request asking the owner to desist from using one of their engines in such a hybrid - or face a meeting with some members of the Special Air Service.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Around 38 years ago Rolls Royce asked this guy to remove their badge from his grill after complaints from the German Police, who believed it was an RR test car exceeding 200+ MPH on their Autobahns.

Bloody thing would do 70 in reverse from what I remember, it was every school boys dream car back then:

And British too :);)

Around 38 years ago Rolls Royce asked this guy to remove their badge from his grill after complaints from the German Police, who believed it was an RR test car exceeding 200+ MPH on their Autobahns.

Bloody thing would do 70 in reverse from what I remember, it was every school boys dream car back then:

And British too :);)

I remember seeing his first car run at Santa Pod. The one in the vid was the second, as the first caught fire. It had GM auto gearbox as John Dodd did repairs on auto gearboxes. The original did look quite a bit like a roller :)

(well maybe not)

beast_resized.jpg

When Fibre Glass Repairs was building it they bought a new RR radiator and lowered it by a couple of inches as it was too tall for the bodywork. I remember reading that on one trip he did 1000 miles in ten hours including going through 3 sets of Border crossings.

• 1. DDz Quorum

A thing of beauty in black (or maybe not):

weird066.jpg

Some more info:

"In the 1960s John Dodd of Kent, England put a Merlin engine (some say it actually was a Rover Meteor tank engine, but then this is a Merlin minus superchargers) in a car called "The Beast". Originally it had a grille from a Rolls Royce, but after complaints from them he had to change it. According to himself he once drove by a Porsche driver on the autobahn and this person then called Rolls Royce asking about their "new model". The Beast was once listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's most powerful road car. The engine came from a Boulton Paul Balliol training aircraft and gave 1262 bhp (941 kW) at 8500 feet (2,600 m). In the car the supercharger was removed so it "only" gave about 850 bhp (630 kW). The chassis was custom made with a fibreglass body and used a gearbox from a GM 400. The car was later restored by John Dodd's son Paul Dodd and he also has a 2050 bhp (1530 kW) twin-supercharged Rolls-Royce Griffon 37 litre engine from a late-model Spitfire he is willing to put in a car if somebody would be interested in buying it."

NannysSurpriseBirthday004-2.jpg

My mates jet car ( I kid you not! ) thats fully road legal, taxed, mot'd. I'll take some decent pictures and write it up in the spring when he gets it out again.

And yes, thats an engine out of a Gloster Meteor!

OK so that's legal, but a WW2 veteran fighter pilot can't get in a Spitfire cause the seat isn't safe? Wow, crazy man!

NannysSurpriseBirthday004-2.jpg

My mates jet car ( I kid you not! ) thats fully road legal, taxed, mot'd. I'll take some decent pictures and write it up in the spring when he gets it out again.

And yes, thats an engine out of a Gloster Meteor!

Well, what do I know, but those wheels surely look a tad small for the purpose of rolling and braking such a beast? :blink:

Engine and running gear from a 2-litre Alfa Romeo of some sort. Space frame from what he had lying around the workshop. Front wheel drive of course. To engage jet power simply drive up to Smeatharpe aerodrome on a run-what-you-brung day, put it in neutral and light 'er up.

'Ere we go; it's first run out at the back of an industrial estate a while ago. Don't have the sound up too much!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjU_I94gh9A

It's all cool, but this Toyota has something on the order of 1,000 HP. You can get 900HP out of them with a stock bottom end and drivetrain.

I just can't figure out how to make Embed work. :angry:

P.S. Watch your ears!

• 2. Administrators

It's all cool, but this Toyota has something on the order of 1,000 HP. You can get 900HP out of them with a stock bottom end and drivetrain.

I just can't figure out how to make Embed work. :angry:

P.S. Watch your ears!

Rather have a Veyron, 1001HP, 0-200mph in 18.3 seconds, 253mph top speed AND it can go around corners......

fallback.jpg