Trim For Level Flight

Gothkrieger

Those of you that don’t have a Saitek throttle with those handy trim knobs on the handle how are you trimming you plane, are you doing a multi press command either on keyboard or throttle?

If you are not using a Saitek throttle what throttle are you using?:huh:

Those of you that don’t have a Saitek throttle with those handy trim knobs on the handle how are you trimming you plane, are you doing a multi press command either on keyboard or throttle?

If you are not using a Saitek throttle what throttle are you using?:huh:

Hey Goth, for me I have been pressing keys to trim but I'm in the process of buiding trim wheels. It will be more then welcome :)

MT

• 2. Administrators

after i got track ir, and before i got rotarys, i mapped the hat switch on my joystick to elevator trim (up and down on hat switch) and rudder trim left and right.

worked really well.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I too used the keys.

Now I have a CH Quad throttle that I have trims on, and pitch and mixture too.

Mapping trims to the hatswitch is genius, wish I had thought of that!

I use the keyboard for trim as I have a Saitek force feedback stick. I must admit I've been bounced loads of times online whilst I've been fiddling with trim. Trim on the hatswitch? Thats an interesting idea. I'm gonna try that for IL2 1946. Can't use it for CoD as I've got the zoom views on the hatswitch which works very well. My you, trim is one of the last things to worry about in CoD at the moment, lol.

Trim? I go to the barbers. I haven't been bothering with rudder or aileron trim and have elevator trim on the MS FFB throttle as my throttle is on a Saitek quadrant. I was poking about in my outhouse the other day and unearthed a box of pots, switches, mouse droppings and spiders so I too aim to make something myself..

• 2. Administrators

Like Shadrach, I'm in the process of building a switch bay which along with other functions will also have 3 axis trim capability (although not necessarily within the next week)

Currently the X52 throttle provides roll and yaw trim with the throttle on the Sidewinder providing pitch

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

This is an old pic, in the meantime I've added some more buttons...

DSCF0203.jpg

There's a total of 6 sliders, three of them for trim.

They work, but level flight... still can't get that under control... B)

White thing top left is throttle (up-down), the red thingy right behind is for flaps (goes left-right), black one to the right of that is for proppitch. (up-down)

The red one to its right is the elevator trim.

Below that, the red one (left-right) is aileron trim, to the left (left-right) is rudder trim.

(Directions are as-you-view the picture, IRL the throttle and pitch levers rather move fore and aft.)

The truly amazing thing of this box is that it actually works, and I only have to open it up maybe once a year to fix a loose wire...

DSCF0194.jpg

• 2. Administrators

after i got track ir, and before i got rotarys, i mapped the hat switch on my joystick to elevator trim (up and down on hat switch) and rudder trim left and right.

worked really well.

Did you use the keyboard for "set trim to neutral" command function?

I have X45 throttle now and thinking of going with a CH Pro Throttle which of course has no knobs. The Knobs on the X45 have that centering detente that make setting it to neutral very easy and is a great way to tell what setting you have your trim set to.

You know it seems the only way a person will be happy is to build something for themselves, at least on the throttle side of things including a lever for flaps and knobs for trim. Curses!

This is an old pic, in the meantime I've added some more buttons...

DSCF0203.jpg

There's a total of 6 sliders, three of them for trim.

They work, but level flight... still can't get that under control... B)

White thing top left is throttle (up-down), the red thingy right behind is for flaps (goes left-right), black one to the right of that is for proppitch. (up-down)

The red one to its right is the elevator trim.

Below that, the red one (left-right) is aileron trim, to the left (left-right) is rudder trim.

(Directions are as-you-view the picture, IRL the throttle and pitch levers rather move fore and aft.)

The truly amazing thing of this box is that it actually works, and I only have to open it up maybe once a year to fix a loose wire...

DSCF0194.jpg

Congrats on a build it yourself, If was only a little more electrically inclined.

• 2. Administrators

worked really well.

Did you use the keyboard for "set trim to neutral" command function?

I have X45 throttle now and thinking of going with a CH Pro Throttle which of course has no knobs. The Knobs on the X45 have that centering detente that make setting it to neutral very easy and is a great way to tell what setting you have your trim set to.

You know it seems the only way a person will be happy is to build something for themselves, at least on the throttle side of things including a lever for flaps and knobs for trim. Curses!

Personally i would get an x52 instead (and did).

costs about the same as a ch throttle, and the x52 throttle is great imo, plus it has a slider and 2 rotarys, which also have centre indents.

coupled with the fact that you then get to use the x52 stick as a button bay, if as i do you use another stick for flying, in my case a ffb2. Also the saitek software is really good for programming buttons with the 3 modes. Between my ffb2, x52pro and the throttle quad, i never have to touch the keyboard for anything now, and still have free buttons to assign to stuff if i want.

re the set trim to neutral button, i left it on the keyboard, as i never used it really, maybe before take off if i remembered, never found it a problem though if i didn't.

Trim on a hat switch actually works really well, its very precise and easy to change quickly whilst flying, and quickly became something that i was doing all the time subconsciously, as it was at my finger tips (well thumb).

I have the X52. Elevator trim and prop pitch on the throttle. Use that all the time. Rudder trim is a hat switch on the stick.

Aileron trim on the keyboard - not many planes have it.

Every now and then I'll spawn and have my aileron trim full to one side - funky in an airstart. I use the INS and PAGE UP for the trim, HOME centers.

You could probably use the buttons below (DEL, END, PAGE DN) for rudder, I find it just as easy to put some toe pressure on the pedals. I usually just fly with my toes anyway, I don't put my heels on the pedals unless I'm braking.

I used to use the mouse wheel on the throttle for prop pitch but same problem, it would sometime start at 50% (try a carrier takeoff at 50% pitch)so I moved it to a rotary.