Force Feedback support. Wonderful.

They are definitely making progress. They also say that SLI support is on the horizon, which is also good news. If this level of effort aimed at improving the game continues, I might just be able to coax my rig into running it, once it is released in the U.S.

I still have one big question. Has anyone been able to get the game to play running on XP?

Xp does work, but it relies on DirectX 9, a lot of the effects the game uses are directX 10 based (introduced with vista). The game runs, but not well and does not look as good. A cheap fix is just to get a Windows 7 OEM license and do a dualboot. XP is dying soon anyway, it is almost 10 years old now.

Xp does work, but it relies on DirectX 9, a lot of the effects the game uses are directX 10 based (introduced with vista). The game runs, but not well and does not look as good. A cheap fix is just to get a Windows 7 OEM license and do a dualboot. XP is dying soon anyway, it is almost 10 years old now.

That seems to be the consensus Jedi, it appears that Windows 7 is what you need if you want the game to run properly. And you are correct, upgrading to Windows 7 would be the cheapest solution. I’m assuming that I’ll need the 64 bit version of Windows 7, if I want to make use of the recommended 4 GB of RAM. Is this that correct?

However, while you are right about Windows 7 being the cheapest upgrade, it does not appear to be an easy upgrade. Microsoft has page after page of instructions concerning an upgrade from XP to Windows 7, beginning with ascertaining if your computer is even capable of running 64 bit. For someone as computer illiterate as I am, it’s a daunting task. I’m sure that given enough time to thoroughly research the problem, that I would be able to successfully install Windows 7-64 bit. That is if my current rig is capable of running a 64 bit operating system. Unfortunately, time is not a commodity that I have a lot of presently. Working in Post Revolutionary Egypt, is demanding a lot of work on my part.

Then there is this Dual Boot issue that you, Rog and several others have mentioned.

My question is why? If Windows 7 is the future and XP a slowly dying anachronism, what benefit would you get from retaining XP? Is it because IL-2 ’46 will not run on Windows 7-64 bit? The information I’ve found is conflicting. Microsoft clearly states that IL-2 ’46 is not compatible with Windows 7-64 bit. But then I’ll read on other forums, where people are successfully running IL-2 ’46 on Windows 7. But they are not clear if they are running at 32 bit or 64 bit.

If IL-2 ’46 will in fact run on Windows 7-64 bit, what advantage would you gain by retaining XP?

I apologize for all the questions, I realize that you all have better things to do than provide me with free IT advice.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I also don't see the need for dual boot. I have been running '46 since last September on Win7 64 bit with no issues whatsoever. Apart from updating the drivers for graphics, hardware etc. to the new OS when I installed it, the only thing I had to get for '46 was a compatible 'il2fb.exe' that was readily available off the internet. As far as I know this is no longer necessary because any of the mod packs has .exe's compatible with Win7 now.

I only require a computer for browsing, gaming and a bit of 'Office' work and this setup works fine for me. As for free IT advice Trib, that's how most of us have survived throught the years mate!!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Only benefit from retaining XP is if you have an application that will not run under Win 7, IL2 is not one of those applications, or you have some exotic hardware for which Win 7/Vista drivers have not been developed.

There is one possible side benefit, and that is you do not loose any data.

Book marks and emails are the most likely candidates for omission in a backup due to odd location of the files.

emails are the most likely candidates for omission in a backup due to odd location of the files.

Aye, there's the rub.

Email could be my Achilles Heel. My agencies IT people have my Outlook set up to mirror my official email. Since the U.S. Government is for the most part still running XP, that could be a problem. Especially since my IT folks are in Kuwait, while I’m in Egypt.

As far as applications that might not work under Windows 7. The only thing I can think of is my 2007 vintage Micro Soft Office and the associated files that I’ve accumulated over the years.

As far as exotic hardware, my old MS FFB2 stick is about as exotic as it gets and I’ve been assured that it will work using Windows 7 64 bit. I’m going to assume that my CH Pro Throttle, CH Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5 will also work with Windows 7 64 bit.

I do want to thank you both for letting me know that Windows 7 64 bit is not a problem with IL-2 ’46. After a bit of research, it would appear that if you have the U.S. version of the il2fb.exe or UltraPack2, it’s not an issue.

Right now the switch to Windows 7 64 bit appears to be a viable solution. But I am going to have to do serious home work. The decision point will be if it’s worth the effort to squeeze a little more useful life out of my existing computer.

I’ve got a Core 2 Extreme QX 6700 processor at 3.46 GHz. This was apparently the first Intel Quad Core chip. So if I’m running Windows 7 64 bit, I’m hoping that it will get me comfortably into the minimum range for CloD. I’ve also got two GTX 8800 - 768 MB graphics cards set up as SLI. These apparently were the world’s first graphics cards to support Direct X 10. Once the game supports SLI, I’m hoping that I’ll be able to achieve the game recommended 1GB. I already have the recommended 4 GB of RAM, even though I can’t access it all running XP. But that should solve itself once I have Windows 7 64 bit running.

Could one of you Smart Dogz please tell me how viable will my rig is for CloD as it’s currently configured, if it’s running Windows 7 64 bit? Does it still have some life left in it or should I be concentration of buying a new computer?

Thanks for the help guys.

Trib, my pc; E6600 intel chip running at 2.9ghz. Thats a dual core chip. 4gigs of decent ram and an Nvidia GT460 card with 756mb of Vram. Upgraded from XP to Win7 64bit.

With all the latest patches for CoD I run it at a resolution of 1680 x 1050 which is my screens native resolution. With a bit of fiddling with the games video settings menu I get in the range 30 to 45 fps. It is now perfectly playable for both online and offline for me.

Infact the graphics quality/framerates/stutters is no longer an issue so I'm now able to moan about the whole host of other things that are wrong with this game. The various bugs, stuff just plain missing, the awful sounds and the clunky and counter-intuitive GUI.

I think proper SLI support and more optimisation of the games use of multi-core processors are now the devs priority before US launch. In short I think your machine will run CoD adequately on Win7. The next step would be a 'latest and greatest' graphic card but I'm not really up to speed on that sort of stuff at the moment.

Good luck :thumbsu:

• 1. DDz Quorum

Email could be my Achilles Heel. My agencies IT people have my Outlook set up to mirror my official email. Since the U.S. Government is for the most part still running XP, that could be a problem. Especially since my IT folks are in Kuwait, while I’m in Egypt.

As far as applications that might not work under Windows 7. The only thing I can think of is my 2007 vintage Micro Soft Office and the associated files that I’ve accumulated over the years.

2007 runs fine, if you are using that for your emai then again you have no problems!

Just ensure you bring across the settings.

As far as exotic hardware, my old MS FFB2 stick is about as exotic as it gets and I’ve been assured that it will work using Windows 7 64 bit. I’m going to assume that my CH Pro Throttle, CH Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5 will also work with Windows 7 64 bit.

I do want to thank you both for letting me know that Windows 7 64 bit is not a problem with IL-2 ’46. After a bit of research, it would appear that if you have the U.S. version of the il2fb.exe or UltraPack2, it’s not an issue.

Right now the switch to Windows 7 64 bit appears to be a viable solution. But I am going to have to do serious home work. The decision point will be if it’s worth the effort to squeeze a little more useful life out of my existing computer.

I’ve got a Core 2 Extreme QX 6700 processor at 3.46 GHz. This was apparently the first Intel Quad Core chip. So if I’m running Windows 7 64 bit, I’m hoping that it will get me comfortably into the minimum range for CloD. I’ve also got two GTX 8800 - 768 MB graphics cards set up as SLI. These apparently were the world’s first graphics cards to support Direct X 10. Once the game supports SLI, I’m hoping that I’ll be able to achieve the game recommended 1GB. I already have the recommended 4 GB of RAM, even though I can’t access it all running XP. But that should solve itself once I have Windows 7 64 bit running.

Could one of you Smart Dogz please tell me how viable will my rig is for CloD as it’s currently configured, if it’s running Windows 7 64 bit? Does it still have some life left in it or should I be concentration of buying a new computer?

Thanks for the help guys.

Like Arthur says, your system is OK for Win 7 64 bit and should handle CoD reasonably well.

Thank you Mates,

That’s the best news I’ve had all week.

My rig appears to be basically sound and able to run CoD reasonably well using Win 7 64 bit. Then once SLI is supported, I may be satisfied with my dual GTX 8800s. If not, I can consider upgrading the graphics cards. Perhaps not the “latest and greatest”, but something like a dual GTX 470 SLI setup.

I now officially have a new project.

Thanks again for the help.

I have just upgraded from windows XP to windows 7, last night, and so far so good , here are some articles I thought helped

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

http://computershopper.com/software/howto/windows-7/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-xp

I used the upgrade software, which is cheaper and it activated no problem

hope they help

ps Thanks to Rog as well for his advice