Strange Happenings...

DoubleTap

dl the ubcd i have uploaded, burn it and boot winxp from it. there is a lot of tests u can do there. if everything is working the it is not hw problem u have.

Crap! I had made a note of doing that when you first posted about it, and like so much else, it get sucked out of my brain.

• 2. Administrators

Yep, start with UBCD DT, check mem and HDD for errors. If you get no errors on the basic scans, run the intensive ones. If you get errors, get the offending components swapped out. You don't mention if your machine is under warranty, but even if not replacing the HDD and/or memory is not all that costly. If you don't get errors, back your important files up and reinstall windows. Make sure you have av installed before you go back on the web. DL the necessary drivers beforehand and stick them on your external HDD.

The BIOS hang is worrying as that means the machine is not passing the POST (power on self-test). Try the things above, and if no better, flash the BIOS, and if issues still persist, I'd be looking at mainboard/CPU faults.

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

memory would be my first check too.

But just to throw this in there:

My eldest daughters PC started acting funny, mouse would not respond even though laser was illuminated.

Swapped out mobo in the end, all seemed good then same old mouse issue.

She asked for help and I smartly (well for me any way after a day at work) after an hour or so went to check it, picked up mouse to see if I could get a response and promptly dropped it.

It was really hot, a Logitech mouse, it had suffered some sort of short that dragged the whole system down.

Binned it, replaced it and all has been well since...weird or what?

No surprise to me Rog, given the iffy quality control that seems to plague Logitech. I installed a Logitech Z4 sounds system on my NF3 system and it worked fine for about six months. Then it short-circuited in a similar way and sent a current or pulse back through the Audigy into the MB circuitry. It killed the soundcard, one of the memory sticks, and the mobo :( So no more Logicrap for me!

B :dog:

That reminds me.

Before I built this system my old one was doing all kinds of funny things. Slow loading, random reboots.

Stress testing at the shop and it responded perfectly. Brig it home and hook it up .... same problems.

Turns out my CH rudder pedals had an internal short that was causing everything.

Maybe unplug some things and see.........

memory would be my first check too.

But just to throw this in there:

My eldest daughters PC started acting funny, mouse would not respond even though laser was illuminated.

Swapped out mobo in the end, all seemed good then same old mouse issue.

She asked for help and I smartly (well for me any way after a day at work) after an hour or so went to check it, picked up mouse to see if I could get a response and promptly dropped it.

It was really hot, a Logitech mouse, it had suffered some sort of short that dragged the whole system down.

Binned it, replaced it and all has been well since...weird or what?

damn!! u just made my life a bit easier. i had mouse tearing problems for last month or two. i was sure some damn windows service is working so hard that it made my mouse go slow. i even reinstalled the windows all over again.

your story enlightened me!! switched my great, laserguided, very expensive, cordless logitech G7 mouse for my old wired mouse and everything is working fine now :)

thx m8

• 2. Administrators

Don't think so Glenn, you've more likely got a stick of memory on the way out. Quick way to check (this assumes you have four memory slots and all four have memory in)

1) Remove all the memory

2) Install 1 stick in slot 1 and boot the machine. If it boots or fails to boot, power down and move the stick to slot 2. Repeat until all four slots are tested

3) If it boots in some slots but not others, then the slots where the machine fails to boot are defective - time for a new mobo.

4) If the machine fails to boot at all with the stick in any of the slots, then you have a defective stick. Go back to step 2 and try the other sticks (you may have more than one faulty stick!)

5) If this doesn't throw up any errors at all, run memcheck from the UBCD on each stick in turn until you get a fault.

If still no fault, clear the error log, and install a couple of new sticks of RAM (they're pretty cheap) and keep an eye on the error log to see if the problem returns.

Jabo

it looks to me that the prob could be in HDD or the connection to the HDD. would be good if u could do a full format of the disk. there are also some HDD testing utilities on the CD.

just to clear something up; u r using the disk in windows environment?

when u boot from the disk u get dos shell menu. ones there, just hit enter. it is all ready positioned on the right choice. now the windows installation from the cd is going to show. it takes some time.

• 1. DDz Quorum

That error means the HDD on it's way out, usually, and as GEC said there are utilities available that will test and report the drive for you.

What make/model is the Drive Glenn (you can get this info from device manager under the disk drives bit).

WD and Seagate/Maxtor do a drive fitness utility that runs within windows.

You may find the disk is still under warranty too, Maxtor/Seagate are 3 or 5 years..you can usually look up the warranty status on their sites.

That error means the HDD on it's way out, usually, and as GEC said there are utilities available that will test and report the drive for you.

What make/model is the Drive Glenn (you can get this info from device manager under the disk drives bit).

WD and Seagate/Maxtor do a drive fitness utility that runs within windows.

You may find the disk is still under warranty too, Maxtor/Seagate are 3 or 5 years..you can usually look up the warranty status on their sites.

The drive was the original from Dell. I will have to pull it out and take a look at what they see.

• 2. Administrators
however, the missing data is identified as being located within an area of memory that cannot be paged out to disk.

Why does this indicate a HDD fault? I would have thought (in my ignorance) that a fault related to memory would indicate a memory fault.

Jabo

here is why i think it is a hdd:

there is a peace of "memory" that sits on the hdd called paged file that is used by system in the same way as real memory. could be that the system is not able to read/write on it.

and i'm no doctor on the subject either.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Just a week ago I had to fix a Dell, reporting a file loading error c:\windows\system32\....dll

A test from BIOS suggested to replace the harddisk... but, as there had been some other strange happenings.... I replaced one of the memory modules and all was suddenly running perfectly fine again...

• 2. Administrators

Have you tried running chkdsk /r from the command prompt Glenn? It's a quick and dirty way of checking the disk for bad sectors (and repairing them) - might help to provide a pointer to your issue.

Have you tried running chkdsk /r from the command prompt Glenn? It's a quick and dirty way of checking the disk for bad sectors (and repairing them) - might help to provide a pointer to your issue.

Nope, but I will do that next!

More detailed error log, although its still scanning...

Initializing, please wait...

Flushing cache start...

Flushing cache end

Pre-Scanning...

Error accessing drive: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\SRTSP\Quarantine\

Error accessing drive: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\SRTSP\SrtETmp\

Warning: Can't get attributes: C:\Documents and Settings\Glenn\Application Data\SecuROM\UserData\:huh:??:huh:???p?:huh:??:huh:

Warning: Can't get attributes: C:\Documents and Settings\Glenn\Application Data\SecuROM\UserData\:huh:??:huh:???p?:huh:??:huh:

Warning: Can't get attributes: C:\pagefile.sys

Error accessing drive: C:\System Volume Information\

Pre-scan complete: