Keith Park memorial

Sid

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Skid,

"The bloated, comic- opera commander of the Luftwaffe issued his order for what he called 'Eagle Day'. 'From Reichsmarschall Goering to all units. Within a short period you will wipe the British air force from the sky. Heil Hitler.' "

Thankfully the likes of Park and Dowding begged to differ !! :boxer:

• 2. Administrators

Regrettably the hatchet job done on Dowding's reputation by the likes of Trafford Leigh-Mallory, Sholto Douglas and Douglas Bader after the Battle of Britain was over and Dowding was unceremoniously shunted off out of the way (to the dismay of the pilots of Fighter Command) has lasted to the present day. Dowding was the true architect of the survival of the RAF during the summer of 1941, but he was too outspoken and made too many enemies. I'm afraid there won't be a plinth JP.

I'm afraid my views on the uses of the fourth plinth don't really bear repeating, but at last there's something there which should be there permanently. I understand that Keith Park's statue will be moving near to the RAF Chapel in London when his six months are up - might want to add that to your list of places to visit Jim and Pook.

Jabo

~S~ Skid,

"The bloated, comic- opera commander of the Luftwaffe issued his order for what he called 'Eagle Day'. 'From Reichsmarschall Goering to all units. Within a short period you will wipe the British air force from the sky. Heil Hitler.' "

• 1. DDz Quorum
The Boxheads

LOL not seen that expression since I served in Germany!

The fourth plinth statue is a temporary Fibreglass one, the permanent statue will be in bronze but a lot smaller...why oh why?

Surely the budget would run to a full size model?

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Sweper M8,

~S~ Skid,

• 2. Administrators

Lol, reminds me of the old Flanders and Swann song - "The Song of Patrotic Prejudice (The English, the Engllish, the English are best)" - I'd continue, but I'd be likely to offend quite a number of people. It's on YT though, if anyone needs to check.

Jabo