TrackIR

~S~

After yesterday´s coop and pep talk about how nice Trackir works compared to anything else, I have a couple of questions. First af all I searched the forum and other sites but I feel I like to have your opinion as well.

1. When reading NaturalPoints description of which sims that take advantage of trackir I notice that IL-2 only works in two axis. Is that right?

• 1. DDz Quorum

1. Modded IL2 has all 6DOF enabled ;)

2. Nope not a jot :)

3. I know that feeling

4. Bummer, it will be back in stock soon. Also consider Ebay the TIR 3 and 4 are pretty good!

I use something called freetrack, which in my opinion works just as well. Requires only a very basic knowledge of electrics (and soldering).

http://www.free-track.net/english/

and here is the thread on how to build it (and my setup)

I'll be happy to guide you through the process.

http://www.dangerdogz.com/forums/index.php/topic,5847.0.html

After 3 or 4 months I can safely say the Freetrack setup is reliable.

After initial teething problems with my setup (that you would have with any type) that Jedi fixed up(thanks yet again Jedi) it's worked perfectly.

I will say that after trying the reflector route I went with powered LED's.

If your setup is in the basement where the ambient light changes little or not at all you could use reflectors. If anywhere near a sunny window go with the powered setup.

The link that Trout was intending to post on the [CHG] website

http://www.canadianhonourguards.ca/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6607

So does Freetrack give 6DOF? My guess is that it does but I'm keen to hear?

I'm currently running a TIR 3Pro with Vector and 6DOF works better now than it did when the first mods arrived. I guess that a lot of the new cockpits are being designed to support this feature. I'm going to treat myself to TIR 5 when they get their supply renewed. The specs look too good to ignore

B

Freetrack works quite well with 6dof, depending on the width of view of the camera. I might get the next camera up which has a 15 degrees extra. Any cheap webcam will do, mine cost me a whopping 9£. The slightly newer logitechs are faster, better field of view and uses less CPU, and costs about 30-50£. I have the cheapest one and it works perfectly, I simply cannot fly without it.

• 2. Administrators

Freetrack's a great product Sweper, I've been using it for a few months now - but - having never been fully happy with the sensitivity of system (probably more to do with the way I've set it up rather than the software), and having got more and more frustrated with the whole thing, I've canned it and gone for TIR instead. The thing which finally swung it for me was using Sid's TIR. I found it to be way smoother than my FreeTrack setup.

The long and the short of it is that I think if you want a head tracker for use in IL2, you've nothing to lose by at least trying FreeTrack. It's better than spending lots of cash in the first place!

~S~ Jabo