Building a new trout pond.

Blairgowrie

They're aerators, GreyKnight. They oxygenate the water. Keeps things healthy, just like an aquarium.

Hogwash!

I'd sooner believe they are agitators, to keep the ponds from freezing over in the winter.

I can't see any gearbox or pump shaft or hose, Me thinks they are only for show, and wirl in the wind fruitlessly.

Time for BG to spill the beans on this one.

In that last picture, what is that white windmill thing for? You see a lot of them over your side of the pond. Are they some sort of wind powered pump or generator? I see now it says '#### Pumper.'

Or is it... dun dun derrrr... a mini oil rig?

;)

They are used for pumping water. It pumps from the pond you see to the gardens and also up to a second pond as well as another garden up the hill.

:bg:

• 2 months later...

A quick update! The pond is starting to take shape. The island is now visible except it is not yet an island. The berms on the right will give you some indication how hight the water level will be.

IMG_0211.jpg

This section of the pond will be completed and then joined with the area where they are removing peat moss.

Please note the funny green colour of the water on the right side of the island. The wife had a piss there!

:google:

Tiny little things, one flower head about 4" across has over a hundred, mostly seeds. One plant might have 30 flower heads.

Takes about 1.5 billion to make a small pie.

You take an entire head of ONLY ripe berries, the green ones are poisonous(as is the rest of the whole plant), work the whole thing into your mouth and pull off the berries with your teeth/lips, trying to leave all the stems behind. Chew to get the juice and pulp and spit out the lump of seeds.

Was coming home from the cottage today I had about 10 elderberry heads, a handful of wild apples and a wild rosehip.

I am in no rush to finish the pond Arthur. I suspect it won't be finished until sometime next year. Once I plug the berms, it will fill very quickly and I want things to be done long before that. The clay all has to dry out and the berms etc. have to be shaped with a bulldozer. I want to cover the clay with top soil and install culverts. I seem to go in spurts and make sure I have several projects on the go at the same time, so I don't get bored with "same old". I am also in the process of landscaping with some very large rocks. I am trying to terrace a slope so that it can be grassed and cut. I don't have a lot of experience in this sort of thing. I usually start something then sit back and try to think out the next move.

After the pond is finished, I need to wait a year until the pond settles before I can stock.

I'll try to post some pics of my rock building.

We are usually good here until mid December before winter starts in earnest.