Building a new trout pond.

Blairgowrie

As some of you know, I am in the process of having a new trout pond built. A couple of weeks ago a good friend of mine who has a logging and landscaping business dropped by to ask if I had any peat moss for sale. He uses it to mix with topsoil which gives the top soil a good texture and colour and adds bulk.

I have always wanted to build another pond and have been clearing an area with lots of springs so it didn't take long for us to arrive at a beneficial arrangement for both of us. He gets all the peat moss he wants in exchange for building the new pond.

Within a few days his excavator arrived and work commenced immediately. So far he has been in for three days and the following photographs represent what has been accomplished so far. I will update this thread, with more photos, as the digging progresses.

103_0361.jpg

120_2004.jpg

119_1962.jpg

119_1963.jpg

119_1964.jpg

119_1969.jpg

119_1977.jpg

119_1981.jpg

119_1988.jpg

119_1990.jpg

119_1993.jpg

119_1995.jpg

119_1997.jpg

119_1998.jpg

119_1999.jpg

The next photograph shows the pond starting to take shape. He has dug down about 6 feet and the water has immediately come up. On the left hand side, he has started to form a berm, which will be about 8ft high. This will allow a total pond depth of 14ft which is a must if the trout are to survive the Canadian winter. The pond bottom and berm is clay and stone which will take about 6 months to dry out before the pond can be shaped and finally flooded. On the right hand side, he has started to form an island to provide ducks and geese with a nesting sanctuary.

Nice BG.

Not all ponds turn out well around there, water table can do funny things.

Some people will find this funny but around there clay is a rare and valuable commodity.

We have a couple of much smaller ponds at our place, the first was dug by hand(my father was a little crazy about his trout like that).

One year we must have gotten an invasive weed during the stocking process and it's been a battle. I did find a natural control. Sterile grass carp, haven't been able to find a place to get some though.

The dead sea was one of BGs half finished projects.

Nice piece of land you have there BG. We hired an excavator when we made our rosegarden, got bored of operating that thing after about an hour.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to be in the general area in early September I think...

BG - try to have it ready for my visit.

Perv/Trout/Strider et al - will give you advance notice and we can all descend up Chez Gowrie for a meet up.

I'm sure there will be enough room in the guest house's guest house's servants quarters guest house.

A couple of new developments.

The guy who is digging the pond has offered me a 50 - 50 partnership in a High Ho. He is taking his excavator operator to a Ritchie Auction next Monday and they will look for a good in the region of $30,000. He has a full time mechanic on staff and a good shop. I have always been worried about a big repair bill on a excavator and this seems to mitigate this issue. He also has a float to move it around which is another concern I had. I don't have any spare cash right now but the wife has. She is on side.

He is also logging some of my trees right now and I will contra the trees against landscaping services when he builds the pond. That will save me paying tax on the proceeds of his logging.

The following are some photos taken today of one of his loggers skiddingout a couple of trees cut very close to the house. He cut them as I pushed them over with the backhoe. They were both leaning towards the house.

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090-1.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096-1.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

:bg:

In that last picture, what is that white windmill thing for? You see a lot of them over your side of the pond. Are they some sort of wind powered pump or generator? I see now it says '#### Pumper.'

Or is it... dun dun derrrr... a mini oil rig?

;)