Prop Pitch

DoubleTap

I only use it on radial engines like the 190 and p-47 , zero and tempest . in-line engines are too fragile and grenade with me.

spitfire does not need it and 109 is very fragile.no advantage with dora or mustang

with p-47 and 190A then put pp to 95% for cruising

I only use it on radial engines like the 190 and p-47 , zero and tempest . in-line engines are too fragile and grenade with me.

spitfire does not need it and 109 is very fragile.no advantage with dora or mustang

Tempest Radial??

Caught ya!

as Ive never flown any thing in RL with prop pich control ( half my hours are on aircraft with no engines at all!!) let me see If Ive grasped this:

100% =1st gear = takeoff /landing/ steep climb

95%=2nd gear =shallow climb

90%/80% =3rd/5th gear etc for high speed cruise or diving

so does that mean 100% and less throttle will keep a damaged engine running longer? less stess??

also if your engine has died will selecting 0% extend your glide?? will it act like a manual feather??

Mind you.... you can all fly gladiators or CR42s and not worry about pitch ;)

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Prop pitch is always a good conversation point with the wife if there is nothing on the TV !!! LMAO

This is what we came up with over a hot chocolate beverage for those who are unsure......

100% = fine pitch= high engine revs =easier overheat= rads open more=drag, (but often gives optimum level flight performance).

95% and lower=coarser pitch=lower engine revs=less overheat=rads open less =less drag.

Lower % prop pitch gives more torque loading on engine which is why revs fall.

Drag is exponential with speed so its best to have rads open when going relatively slowly IE; climbing or at the slowest point of a turn or loop if possible.

Shutting rads in a dive is good for speed but conversely opening them in a dive can cool the engine nicely IF you have

good work guys, I have been secretly wondering, but to lazy to figure it out.

I played a little with it on the BBlokes practice server after reading the Airwarefare link. I also read about the engine rpm powerband. when I looked on the P38, there were two green marks indicating the power band.

so on the way to target I continuosly messed with the throttle, pitch,rad & trim. I got the 38 crusing!! was fun, but just more for me to think about.

man... am I lazy

another tip is to avoid using boost / WEP as long as possible - this keeps the engine cooler - I have been using this recently with 190s and 109s with very good results- on tueday I was in a protracted df with a yak in a 109k and engine ran sweetly the whole time- usually I have to bug out due to overheat.

now I only use boost when extending ( running like a little girl) or trying to close on an extending bandit.

the only thing I have to remember now is to turn down revs on 109 prior to engaging boost to prevent greneading engine- some of the top 109 guys use prop pitch but the engine is too fragile IMHO and I usually end up destroying it when I try

• 1. DDz Quorum

this thread goes to prove that there is no right answer. the other night i was talking to bbloke about this very subject, asking him how he flew the 190.

he said to me that he uses about 95% prop pitch, rads open and boost on when engaged. i tried it the other night flying on my own zooming about on a practice map of my own whilst trying some new stick settings (also trying to get it over or around 400 kmh) it it ran for ages with out any sign of over heating, in fact i had run out of amo from shooting up ground targets and had turned it off before heading back to base to practice landing.

:-\

Just got myself a new throttle quadrant....

Prop pitch is on a lever next to the throttle ..with mixture and supercharger on rocker switches

Straight and level on 100% "full fine" I can gradually coarsen the pitch while watching the rev counter. As long as you keep the revs in the power band you can add 20+kph to the cruise.

usefull if you are running away. This is much easier to do on a slider compared with the +5-5 button bashing.

another tip is to avoid using boost / WEP as long as possible - this keeps the engine cooler - I have been using this recently with 190s and 109s with very good results- on tueday I was in a protracted df with a yak in a 109k and engine ran sweetly the whole time- usually I have to bug out due to overheat.

According to the plane guide the WEP on the 109 needs to be selected at idle and will then only operate above 100% (like the mustang).

However as soon as its selected I get the yellow/red "boost/WEP seleced" message on the right at all throttle settings...

Is this normal??