Time For A Holiday To Nz Me Thinks......

fruitbat

It flies!!!!!

A few days ahead of schedule, take off was today at 10:40 local time.

First photo has been posted on Facebook so I took a screen grab for everyone. :)post-671-13487028473008_thumb.jpg

This makes me so incredibly happy.

The Mosquito is one of my all time favourites. It's been 16years since we last had an airworthy example. I do hope we get to see it in the UK before it heads to the states!!

Well that is everyones hope. It was provisionally booked for Flying Legends last year, but the project had some delays (understandable with such a complex restoration!)

It's all down to the owner really, a Mr Jerry Yagen. It's destined for his fighter academy in the USA (Virginia I think...) but he is quoted as saying he'd like it to tour Europe or at least the UK on it's way over.

Whether this still stands is unsure, it's been delayed already, maybe he'll just want it home!!

Who knows?! Fingers crossed though! ;)

Funny story on this Mossie. It is the last surviving war-time Mosquito and was used by the RCAF.

From what I was told by our local aviation museum curator, It was taken from Canada quite illegally as it is considered by Heritage Canada as a significant heritage article.

they were denied permission to remove it from the country and did so anyway (it is apparently owned by a wealthy Virginian...where it will end up soon).

One day we will sneak down to the US and steal it and fly it back...one day.

• 2. Administrators

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but according to this month's Flypast magazine, although there were plans to fly the aircraft to Virginia 'the long way round' including a stay in the UK for the airshow season next year, these have now been scrapped and the owner is now planning to crate the aircraft and take it straight to the US. So no Mossie at Legends next year I'm afraid.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

@Arthur - Good point - The short answer is that it won't.

Athough you could get in the rest of the aircraft into a container (or two), the 16m single piece wing section won't. They're working on a number of options such as a flat-bed trailer for a roll-on, roll-off cargo ship (does such a thing even exist?) or using a cargo airliner.

@Arthur - Good point - The short answer is that it won't.

Athough you could get in the rest of the aircraft into a container (or two), the 16m single piece wing section won't. They're working on a number of options such as a flat-bed trailer for a roll-on, roll-off cargo ship (does such a thing even exist?) or using a cargo airliner.

Yes, roll on/off's exist, they use them for transporting cars. I've never seen a truck on one though......

BTW, I've been taking a lot of cold showers lately.......She's soooooo sexy!

this from a newsletter of the Vancouver Island Aircrew Assc newsletter (the group of retired RCAF and RAF flyers).

A Mossie getting rebuilt in my old hometown of Victoria (near Vancouver and Seattle for the geographically challenged).

So one more Mossie in the air soon.

Our gracious host, Mel Johnstone, who is in charge of the restoration of this aircraft, owned by Mr. Bob Jens, of Vancouver, was kept busy answering many questions about the work that has been done and how much more needs to be done before the aircraft will be airworthy. We had 15 of our members along with some friends, plying Mel with questions – and Mel is a fountain of knowledge about the aircraft.

This particular aircraft was built in England for the RAF, by the Airspeed Aviation Company. After being decommissioned by the Air Ministry, it was purchased, together with some others, by Spartan Air Surveys of Canada, in order to do aerial surveying, photography and mapping of northern parts of our country. This operation

took place in the late 1950’s and early 60’s. I remember

seeing four of the aircraft at Vancouver Airport in about 1961. After finishing the task for which they were brought to Canada, I believe that one or two of them were sent to Mexico and South America, for more mapping.

When Spartan Air Surveys had no further use for the aircraft, they were sold to various individuals and groups who wanted to restore and show them. This aircraft

changed hands two or three times before ending up in Victoria. After restoration, it will, presumably, be flown back to Vancouver to reside in Bob Jen’s hangar beside his immaculate Mk. XV Spitfire.

A tremendous amount of skilled work has been done to renew fuel, hydraulic, and pneumatic lines as well as electrical wiring, and many other “bits and pieces.”

The Mk B35 was equipped with an extra large bomb bay – capable of carrying a 4,000 lb bomb. These aircraft were employed on a regular run to Berlin with the same sized bomb load as the B17 Flying Fortress, but with a crew of only two.

I seem to remember one or two rather disparaging songs that compared the “Mossie’s” bomb carrying capabilities to those of the “Flying Fortress” that left no doubt in the minds of listeners that the Mossie was indeed superior.

It has, however, been decided to alter the size of the bomb bay to give the aircraft a slimmer appearance. New bomb bay doors were ordered from New Zealand and have been fitted with new operating jacks to compensate for the change in size.

The Rolls Royce engines have been completely overhauled in California, and test run for over five hours. They are now back in place in the aircraft. The radiators have been rebuilt in the UK, and will be installed as soon as they are returned. Fuselage and wing surfaces have been sanded ready for painting. That is nearly the last step in the refit, and will take upwards of a month to complete.

After that will come plenty of testing plus a strict examination before a Certificate of Airworthiness is given. It is probable that the aircraft will not be flying until next spring. I hope that I will be able to hear the good old Merlins do their usual coughing and spitting before settling down to a steady rhythm. Then we will watch the “Old Girl” take to the air once more.