Oh the pain...

Jabo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2. Administrators

Question; has anyone tried a program called HDD Regenerator to repair damaged drives? If so does it work and is it worth spending £27 to (possibly) get 30-odd GBs of data back?

Jabo

I've got it and I like it. I predict the Mustang will become a much more popular choice of mount now its got an armament that works too.

Mind you, I feel I'm in some splendid isolation. Can't find any servers on Hyperlobby that support it yet and frankly I can't be arsed to do yet another install back to 1.1........yet ;)

Question; has anyone tried a program called HDD Regenerator to repair damaged drives? If so does it work and is it worth spending £27 to (possibly) get 30-odd GBs of data back?

Jabo

what exactly is wrong with your hdd?. what does it do or does not.?

sometimes putting hdd in the freezer for couple of hours can give you few minutes to copy data to another drive. something like an aspirin in the car battery.

• 2. Administrators

The drive spins up and some sectors are accessible while a large number of others are not. Windows 'sees' the drive but is unable to access it (tells me it needs formatting before I can use it). Using ubuntu I have managed to get the data from the accessible areas and move it to a separate drive. The inaccessible areas unfortunately encompass my entire users folder.

I discussed this with a colleague who suggested that HDD Regenerator might be able to repair the inaccessible sectors so I could retrieve my data at least. I want the drive replaced in any case, as less than 12 months use is not good enough.

Jabo

Nice one, Oldtimer :knight:

Re: 1.2 - yeah, got it - used the Torrent - got it installed with no problems so far. A fair number of the 'corrupt' file warnings seem to relate to how the pack has been divided up. Some files seem to have been split up in the process but are, presumably, restored during the installation process. Limited flight-time on-line suggests that it works okay, but I need to do a lot more study to decide how good it is or isn't.

OTOH I've been flying quite a bit of 4.09m and just loving the speed of initialisation. The late night group I fly with has a variety of PCs ranging from state-of... to pretty effin' weak: likewise connections ranging from fast cable to low-end ADSL. What we all appreciate is how quickly we are in the air from the time a Hyperlobby launch is made - even the slowest of the group is loaded very quickly compared to the 'modded' installation/initialization times.

B

I've got it and I like it. I predict the Mustang will become a much more popular choice of mount now its got an armament that works too.

Mind you, I feel I'm in some splendid isolation. Can't find any servers on Hyperlobby that support it yet and frankly I can't be arsed to do yet another install back to 1.1........yet ;)

Aha!! If you disable Zuti's moving dogfight thingamajig then you're good to go on Hyperlobby. Oooopps, sorry for hijacking again Jabo.

Very good luck with your machine, keeping fingers crossed. For me it would'nt be the loss of music but the loss of pictures................ :o

• 2. Administrators

I'm on a roll - 1.2 installed ok and seems to be working.

Jabo - I can now do you a dvd of this, plus mat manager and il sticks if it helps.

I'll take whatever's going OT, I'm doing my best this end, but struggling

Jabo

P.S. Oh my, this could be a long process...I'm having a shot a regenerating the disk using this HDD Regenerator program, and while it appears to be doing the business, it might need to run for 24hrs or more before I get a result. Oh well, worth it in the long run I suppose...

• 2. Administrators

:roflmao: Possibly more like 'feckin mods' than Hugh's entire back catalog, but there you go.

In any case, I'm giving up with it, between MB 3094 and 3097 it found and repaired over 5200 bad sectors and took nine hours to get that far. Given that there's over 150GB inaccessible on the drive and that there's other things I want to do this lifetime, I think this drive has come to the end. eBuyer have already agreed to swap it so I'll just get rid. Bah.

Jabo

I'm on a roll - 1.2 installed ok and seems to be working.

Jabo - I can now do you a dvd of this, plus mat manager and il sticks if it helps.

I'll take whatever's going OT, I'm doing my best this end, but struggling

Will mail this morning.

Good luck.....

• 2. Administrators

DVD #2 touched down this morning, again, big thanks to OT for coming to the rescue - Theme for next year's shirt ?

Thanks to everyone for their support during a particularly stressful week.

Jabo