Sideline Sid

Sid

• 1. DDz Quorum

The computer builders accepted the return under warranty, it's with them now so just a case of waiting. I can log in to my account and look for comments on the return, maybe tomorrow...?

NB. I get through just as much whisky whether I'm flying or not Jim....ah, that reminds me, I went on a resettlement course (I can retire next year) provided by the Fire Service and the health guru they brought on says that, in the USA, the alcohol intake for men and women is now 28 units (half a pint of beer or 1 whisky shot) for men a week and 21 for women. Now, in the UK that means an increase from 21 and 14 respectively and we are bound to adopt the revised figures...some sooner rather than later

I feel the pain Sid.

I'm about to box up the 2nd Mobo, to be RMA'ed

Since I got caught up in this.

I've never had this much trouble with a build in my life.

And I've build more than I can count, between myself and friends, Family, coworkers through the years.

I think I've fell into a bad lot of this Mobo, so I'm trading out for another version.

Two in a row with Bad Memory slots.

This one wouldn't even boot into startup screen with Sot #1

Yep, the Memory works fine, and so does the Mobo, if I only use one slot, at a time.

It will pass Ortho's, and Prime 95 easily.

Except in the bad slot's.

But neither Mobo, will pass on dual channel at all.

I have a thread on it, here somewhere.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Update on my pooter...

The fault lies within the mobo, an almost 2 year old Asus 680i Striker Extreme. Apparently this is good going for this board as it should have gone kaput within 3 months if it was going to do it....

It is likely that it will be replaced by a similar board but this depends on whether Asus have one of the updated spec that cleared the issue that crashed mine. This route will get my pooter back to me by the end of...next week

It was a sad day when Abit went down the tube and turned over to manufacturing e-picture frames! I never had one break down on me except in cases of extreme user error - in fact I'm still using one in my house server. Apart from an excursion into DFI-land for a while I never used anything else. I certainly would never have considered an Asus back in the day.

Note: I would consider a DFI mobo if there's one that fits the bill for you. Their construction is on a par with Abit's better days.

I've also managed to sideline myself, see my down and out thread, and it'll be a while till I get back. Frustrating, ain't it? I may have to consider a return to my whisky-drinking days as well :drunken_smilie:

B

• 2. Administrators

Let me know when you're likely to have the machine back m8 and I'll arrange to come over again and help you get set up (if you want - otherwise I'l just sulk here instead - grin)

Jabo

Sid,

I am sorry to hear of your PC problems, but for some good news, once again with you gone from the Axis side, we've been doing REALLY well without you.

Now... I really would like to see you back with us asap, but then the competitive side of me wants to continue slipping fivers to these PC guys to keep throwing spanners in your PC.

No offense!

:icon_salut:

GK

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sid,

I am sorry to hear of your PC problems, but for some good news, once again with you gone from the Axis side, we've been doing REALLY well without you.

Now... I really would like to see you back with us asap, but then the competitive side of me wants to continue slipping fivers to these PC guys to keep throwing spanners in your PC.

No offense!

:icon_salut:

GK

None taken GK

muttley.jpg

Sharrum..rashum..fashum..Rick Rastardley....

Cheers Jabo, I look forward to the day....

Cheers also, Brando

• 1. DDz Quorum

Decided to go with the flow and have gone with a replacement mobo from Asus. Similar boards to mine have since been upgraded so don't show the fault that mine produced. Awaiting email that says it's done and can get it home for additional work...

I bought 2 WD 500gb SATA 2 7200rpm hard drives thinking that my Raptor was naff so I have some options now.

Going SLI with the 2 8800GTXs effectively takes out one of the 3 drive bays as one of the video cards invades it's space so the choice is either 2 x 500gb or 1 x 160gb Raptor (original) plus 1 x 500gb 7200rpm. I intend keeping it SLI so would look towards partitioning the Raptor into three and put the OS on one partition, IL2 on another and keep the third free. The other hard drive would be unpartitioned and used for backup and storage.

Sounds good to me, but I'm not actually spending time flying. This break has given me time to sup whisky and think about the intricasies of what actually allows me to fly instead of thinking about important things like getting enough lead on the deflection shot that is going to rip a wing off Sweper's/Painless's/Akula's/Friar's/whosoever's aeroplane.......do I sound as if I'm suffering?

Cheerzen

Sidley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

Latest update....

The builders should have a replacement mobo by early next week..I am being very patient and have resisted the temptation to get them to fit a different board in lieu of the busted one. I paid for extra warranty so it seems a bit pointless to fork out a large sum twice.

See what happens next week. I'm off work so hopefully will have something to occupy my time later on...once I've deciphered all the threads re. installing what

• 1. DDz Quorum

Knock Knock

Whos there?

Sid

Sid who.........How quickly we forget........

Only joking mate, I know my flying time is limited by other factors and I am feeling the frustration on tuesday and thursdays, believe me, so I know how you must be feeling, but for me, at the moment, its for the best.

Hopefully our paths will cros soon.

Cheers

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Okaaaay, a bit of movement!

Asus can't supply a Striker Extreme mobo due to their age (how long does it take to sort that out - surely less than a week!) so the builders are going to look at their mobo stock and speak to me tomorrow morning about spec. So long as it is as near to the Asus and everything can be SLI'd I don't mind - might even get some money back apparently....

The rig will then be rebuilt and shipped tomorrow