calculating lead in gunnery

delta7

apart from the usual suspects like bbloke who use the force to assist in aiming

:starwars:

a few of us ( ME ) have trouble hitting a cow with a banjo at 1 pace apart .

anyway someone suggested I use the gyro gunsight to help and Iv been doing quick mission builder dogfights with this and it had opened my eyes.

I still miss but at least I can accuratly guage how much I miss by normally- no seriously if you use it right then you hit everytime.

how do you use it well there are guides at airwarfare but it really is a 3 step operation

1) go to the control section of il2 and look at

That has stirred my interest in trying that out now too.

Even if it does entail flying a P-51. :sad1:

Its not that bad a plane but does have a sudden snap stall - needs trimmed a lot to keep it fast- but Im only learning how to fly it

Dont forget the .50 cals.. they dont seem to take as much leading as slow wing canons on a zero for instance ;)

very good point - you will need slightly MORE lead for 20mm cannon and even more for 30mm and slow ROF guns, but this will give you a ball park to start with and in my case my perceived lead was at least 1/2 a ring too small in most cases and 1 full ring in high angle off shots.

the big eye opener was how a little back pressure on the stick has a drastic effect when turning and trying to get lead- I now fly with nose trimmed well down

best to keep you Angle off less than 30 degrees where possible to have a chance of hitting.

Anybody ever see a link between their flight sim gunnery and real life shooting skill?

Ummm.... My real life shooting skills are much, much, better.

I think that's one of the reasons my lack of ability to hit anything in the game just frustrates the living crap out of me. :stressederic:

If I can take a bird out of the air with a single .22lr round, why can I not hit a big-ol airplane with a machine gun. :rolleyes:

• 1. DDz Quorum

Anybody ever see a link between their flight sim gunnery and real life shooting skill?

Yep, I'm crap in real life too.

Just about managed to get the rounds go in the right direction at the range.

Got hit once too, but that wasn't one of mine.

I was on duty down range in the bunker (can't recall the proper term but know there is one) when a ricochet dropped down my shirt collar and burnt the back of my neck..ouch!

Got hit once too, but that wasn't one of mine.

I was on duty down range in the bunker (can't recall the proper term but know there is one) when a ricochet dropped down my shirt collar and burnt the back of my neck..ouch!

You mean down in the "butts"

By the time I got out, our local range was fully automated.