Bombing Advice

Crash

At long last I have set up my labeled MFDs and have stated level bombing. I have watched several videos on how to do it but cant get the crosshairs to stay on target. They always drop below the target no matter what airspeed I put in as as a result they fall short. Am I missing something? On one vid the guy keeps it on by altering the airspeed without turning the sight mode off but it has no effect for me :(

• 1. DDz Quorum

Practice is one of the keys, checking height the target is above sea level and deducting that from altimeter height and airspeed. There are tables for true airspeed around that are useful but I found the most important physical motion thing to check is maintaining a constant airspeed that keeps the crosshairs on the target. Many other things too I'm sure but it is good fun to do.

I have not done mush level bombing, but when the angle speed and altitude was set up correctly, it worked quite well. But cross hair did not drop. Well, to be honest, I ended up doing level bombing manually when I had to many issues with the bombsight not staying at target, lol. One really need a steady flight and farther distance than expected. Both ways, the bombs tend to fall a bit short.

I suppose you use this little asset: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=317

When I level bomb I set my alt and speed as close as possible.  once I lock the cross hairs on target(lock bomb sight) I am consistently adjusting the rudder trim and airspeed bomb sight setting to keep the cross hairs where I want them.  If it is drifting low I decrease the airspeed bomb setting, if it is drifting high I increase the airspeed bomb sight setting.  non-stop until the Bombs drop. Unless i didn't open the doors.  if the altitude of the target is correct the first pickle will hit at the cross hairs. 80% of the time.

Again I learned all this from Thor's level bombing manual.

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever manualarrow-10x10.png I used (youtube), pointed out a bomb run starting at a range from which it wasn't possible to make out the target as it hadn't come within visual range yet.  (And this was a BIG target, like the 88mm FLAK base bunker)  Basically, SWAG the target location using the macro like surrounding towns or a port from which you know the general location of the target. Get the aircraft stable, the sight set to the highest setting (80 degrees?), and the airspeed and altitude set.  Once the target comes into view, you move the crosshairs, and lock on target.  Then you're constantly adjusting airspeed to keep the target just slightly below the crosshairs (as I remember) since the drop is from the middle of the crosshairs down.  Also, the "level" bombing auto-pilot doesn't stay level, and the aircraft is in a constant slight decent that you must also constantly adjust for.

I've had considerable success once I figured out the idiosyncrasies.

• 1 month later...