Time To Upgrade For Clod And Bos

Tonar

It has been 6 years since I built my IL2 rig for $400.  My birthday is comming and I am thinking about refreshing my flight sim rig.

Again I am going to go the bargan way if I can do it.  My budget is <$600.  I have been browsing around have found a couple of systems in my price range but am unsure if they will fit the bill in performance for CLOD and BOS.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4959021&CatId=114

Not sure if the Gforce GT610 is good enough.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8529716&CatId=114

What are you CLODer's and BSer's flying with?

• 2. Administrators

If you're up for building your own rig Tonar you might do better with this;

post-406-0-43651700-1408120999_thumb.jpg

Here's my current set up - It's a bit over-engineered...

CPU: i5 2500k

RAM: 12GB Corsair Dominator

GFX: Nvidia Geforce GTX580 (3GB DDR 5)

HDD: 2 x 128GB SSD + 1 x 1TB HDD + 1 x 2TB HDD (Both Seagate)

CD/DVD: 1 x LG DVD RW

that's a good setup jabo.

but Tonar, how big of a problem is the fact that it does not include windows?. Do you own Windows you can install on it or u don not have prob installing the (under the shelf one)? like me for example :)

I see that u've picked one with OS included. OS alone is over a $100. witch can be better spent for better GPU or processor.

i see now that jabo did mention Win 7 in description so mi bad. did not see it on the picture.

• 2. Administrators

Mostly 'cos that one was the one I got for nothing Pook. There are some advantages to testing MS products.

i see now that jabo did mention Win 7 in description so mi bad. did not see it on the picture.

It's not on the spec that I wamped up for Tonar - my mistake there - My biggest problem with both the pre-built rigs is that they're both running Windows 8.1, I'd personally build a rig and buy an OEM version of Win 7 to put on it instead. I would have thought that win 7 home premium would set you back about $60 - it's £60 here and pounds seem to equal dollars when it comes to computing.

I might be talking out of my arse here - as usual -but doesn't Windows 8 give you the option of installing Windows 7 anyway?

Tonar, the gtx460 you are running now is more powerful than a GT610 card.  

I just did a quick check of NewEgg and as long as you screw it all together yourself -  for just over six hundred bucks you can get an AMD 760K cpu.  Thats a quad core running at 3.8ghz.  A Gigabyte mobo to stick it on, a 1 TB hard drive, 8 gigs of DDR3 memory, a 600w power supply, a case, a DVD drive and an Nvidia 7600gtx.

Re-use keyboard, mouse and screen but operating system will be extra.

This system will run CLoD, RoF and BoS on pretty much max. without any problems at all. 

i know OEM windows are intended to stick to one computer and are not transferable to a new one, but i remember once, replacing my old rig with OEM OS with a completely new rig and calling microsoft support. I told the girl on the other line that i "changed some parts and it won't activate any more" and she gave me new activation number :)

So if you still have WIN 7 cd from old rig you can try installing it and activating it through microsoft support on the new one.

Arthur,

Yes I just realized that the card you sent me is plenty. I am still flipping coins to determine if I want to pull the trigger or not on a new system.  Like I have said before, these days I only fly maybe 2 hours a week if I am lucky. At that rate it will take me weeks just to map CLOD and BOS keys.  Right now I am IL2 capable and functional.

If it ain't broke it doesn't have enough features  :)

• 2. Administrators

@ Arthur, yes you can downgrade (microsoft's term) win 8 to win 7, but I don't know the process I'm afraid. <br /><br />It's easy enough to switch a license key between machines if you're working with oem windows.

I am still flipping coins to determine if I want to pull the trigger or not on a new system.  Like I have said before, these days I only fly maybe 2 hours a week if I am lucky. At that rate it will take me weeks just to map CLOD and BOS keys.  Right now I am IL2 capable and functional.

If it ain't broke it doesn't have enough features   :)

Yeah, I know what you mean.  My computer flying habit grew in 2007 when my older kids were in their teens and did their own thing of an evening.  Now they're men (sob!) and do their own thang all the time but my job now is full on and my youngest is nine and there won't be any more after him so.................................

However,  they'll be increasing windows of opportunity in the future and the stuff coming through now like CLoD, DCS and BoS are running at a new level and more and more people are moving on to them.

How about building your own box with a quad core, new mobo and ram and Win7/8 and sticking the gtx460 in for the time being?  It'll certainly run CLoD no problem and then you can contemplate a new graphics card at your leisure.

I've got an Nvidia 660ti and I think it's a great card and BoS runs like a dream on it but it's apparently getting long in the tooth now and Ebay is your friend.