Creative Soundcards And Windows 7

Sid

• 1. DDz Quorum

Gents, has anyone got a Creative soundcard installed and running successfully on a Win7 system? I seem to remember FT saying he had done so.

I have some Soundblaster and Audigy 4 soundcards that I know didn't work a couple of years ago and, looking at the Creative driver's site, don't see anything new that convinces me to put one back in. I'm aware of some modded drivers that claim to work but I'm not interested.

There are a couple of new Soundblaster Recon3D cards http://www.scan.co.uk/products/creative-sound-blaster-recon3d-fatal1ty-professional-soundcard that are tempting me that are made as Win7 compatible, hence the question.

Cheerzen

• 2. Administrators

What would be the advantage of using a separate soundcard over the onboard? If its just more heat and power consumption I don't know that I'd worry about it much. My mobo has 5.1 outputs so I've got surround sound if I want it and my headset is USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Crash. Which card are you using? I have an Audigy 4 model SB0610 for a PCIe slot available in my spares box.

I have a PCI Audigy 2 so its very old :) I have since moved over to the on board sound as I was having problems with mixing game sounds on the Creative and TS on the on board.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Cheers Crash.

Jabo, there is no reason other than I have the cards here and am wondering if Creative have moved on with their Win7 support. After an hour looking on the net I'm not going to mess with the Audigy as it is clear that Creative haven't moved on. As to a new card that is Win7 compatible from the outset I would consider it if I knew the output would be significantly better than the Asus onboard I'm using now as I play movies and music on the pooter aswell as flying etc.

What would be the advantage of using a separate soundcard over the onboard? If its just more heat and power consumption I don't know that I'd worry about it much. My mobo has 5.1 outputs so I've got surround sound if I want it and my headset is USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theoretically it would take some of the workload off the processor, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes these days.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I stopped using discrete soundcards a while ago, since going multi-core really and my Audigy frying itself.

Missus used an Audigy until a couple of months ago until it too fried out, I think performance benefit these days is barely noticeable.

However the higher end cards will have better fidelity, but my 51 yr old ears would be deaf to that any way, and the kids music I'm sure would only sound worse :D

• 2. Administrators

I like my top end creative sound card very very much, it sounds fantastic with my THX 5.1 speakers.

Works fine in win 7, have everything working including all software.

and what software you get, its brilliant for manipulating sound stuff.

I picked up an Asus Xonar DGX after the Creative/X-Fi that came with the Crosshair 3 mobo gave out twice. (That is, I had a spare which also blew)

The Xonar has some good features and is especially nice in Hi-fi music mode. The game sounds settings are good too but don't have much effect in Forgotten Battles. It does work better than the on-board offering though. It claims to incorporate a headphones amplifier as well.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I like my top end creative sound card very very much, it sounds fantastic with my THX 5.1 speakers.

Works fine in win 7, have everything working including all software.

and what software you get, its brilliant for manipulating sound stuff.

Which card have you got Fruity?

• 1. DDz Quorum

When using windows 7 the real power of the Creative cards is not used. Their APU.

Windows won't let software that close to the hardware anymore.

So Creative can't release any really good drivers.

So, one might as well use onboard soundcards.... (just talking creative here, dunno about other brands...)

My Creative X-fi Xtreme gamer used to kinda work with 7, but some issues occured.

In the end I got complete system freezes, several a day. That stopped when I pulled the card.

Onboard sound works, but I do miss the Audigy-5.1-Speaker-XP-IL2-Original sounds setup.

That combination really was something... those oh so subtle engine sound changes....

Oh well... it is what it is...

Darn, come to think of it, using that silly G940 stick as well, due to using Win 7, and that one really does not give the same feedback / feeling as the Guillemot did...

Where's my XP disk!?

Oh well...

• 2. Administrators

Never mind FT, you can switch to Windows 8 soon and that'll really f**k everything up. I'm not happy with it at all at this point - bag of spanners.

I've no room for a discrete sound card in my rig so the onboard is (has to be) fine for me.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sid I'm using a Creative sound card, maybe the same as Fruity, Creative Found Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatali1y, came with a nice headset too. I'm running Windows 7, did have some problem at first, updated the drivers that Creative had on their site and put everything to Game Mode with default settings.

Sounds are fine but I doubt I know if they weren't.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sid I'm using a Creative sound card, maybe the same as Fruity, Creative Found Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatali1y, came with a nice headset too. I'm running Windows 7, did have some problem at first, updated the drivers that Creative had on their site and put everything to Game Mode with default settings.

Sounds are fine but I doubt I know if they weren't.

Cheers Pook