Little Windows 7 Help Here Please...

JensenPark

how does one install or re-install windows 7 if I don't have the disk?

Don't laugh, but we have about 15 (okay, 5) computers in the house. I want to upgrade my wife's vista computer to windows 7, but I'm sick of paying Bill Gates for stuff.

I have a network computer (really, a dumb box that we use for networking and playing movies off of) that has windows 7.

I have the key from it...but it is like some of the current laptops, etc and does not come with an actual disk.

I have a disk of W7, but it is for my 64 bit, and her's is a 32.

I appreciate your help here guys. I hate vista. I hate hearing my wife scream because the f*&&^% vista drivers keep messing up the printer, etc she uses for work.

• 1. DDz Quorum

You can only use the key once.. AFAIK as it will attempt to activate over the NET.

Install media is not tied to a key, but you need to know which version the key is for so when installing you select correct version.

So if the key is for, say. home premium you select that from install options.

Once built you then input the key and it talks to mother, and authorizes the install.

TechNet is a good option if you want to trial and test the operating systems MS offers.

They do not expire so quite long and rigourous testing is possible.

Technet is not too expensive, and a great solution if you want a test network of computers - and you can have servers too ;)

• 2. Administrators

Or alternatively, find a retailer prepared to sell you the OEM version as that will provide you with a key and media without paying the premium of the retail box version. I bought the OEM version of win 7 home premium for my dads pc and paid about half the normal retail cost.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ubuntu 10.4 !!

Comes with Open Office ... all free, all legal ... :sheepsmile:

If you just need to browse the Internet, read some Email, edit some documents... it'll do just fine. (Though it offers much more...)

No need for anti-virus (yet)

Runs great, even on older hardware ...

Linux, or more specifically Ubuntu as FT mentioned is great for certain applications. I use Linux on several of my machines but there can be a fairly step learning curve and others may find Linux impractical.

TechNet is great. While I haven't subscribed yet, I have known a few people including colleagues that have been using it for years. Apparently upon subscription you are entitled to 10 licenses for every MS product. That means 10 for Windows home premium 64, 10 for home premium x86, 10 for Ultimate and so on. From what everyone who uses it says, and some have been using it for about 10 years, the licenses never expire, meaning that even after your year long subscription (or whatever it is) runs out you still have access to everything you originally did. You will not however get new MS product licenses for say Win 8 when it comes out if you don't have an active subscription. They are very strict about giving out licenses however as a buddy of mine had installed a version of Windows on his wife's laptop and when she was overseas on business he received a call that a machine with one of his licenses was being used in another country. He informed them of the situation and claimed ownership of the laptop which pacified them.

For around 300 USD its a great solution for individuals that have several machines and don't want to break the bank buying copies of MS products. If I remember correctly you are not officially allowed to use the licenses for business machines but I'm fairly sure for personal business or a small home business you would be well enough below the radar that you wouldn't have issue. I would still keep a regularly licensed MS OS on my main office personal computer however.