For The Uk Dogz That Go To Pubs

Friar

They look like fairly average prices for a boozer in southern England Friar. Mr. Zooly will probably be spluttering into his Tetleys if he see's 'em 'cause it's grim, but cheap, oop north.

From memory (binge drinking Thursday night in Chester)

Copper Dragon bitter £2.30

Guiness £3 40

Mill Premium bitter £2.20 used to be £1.95! :have_a_beer::occasion14:

Weatherspoons is usually quite cheap.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I live next door but one to a pub.

Rarely go there though, too far to crawl when pissed...

Prices are shocking aren't they, bought kids new shoes today.

£32 for an 11 year olds shoes..

Special offer, gents for £50 - I can remember when £100 a week was a good wage, I spend double that on fuel alone now just commuting.

I recall a pint of Tetley's, or Timothy Taylors, (or any of the dozen or so beautiful draught beers available in West Yorkshire at the time) hitting the 40 pence mark some while ago :thumbsd: But wages at the little iron foundry were £42.00 a week after tax, so a bit of careful budgeting meant I could spend half on beer and the rest on food, petrol and rent, with enough left over for 10 tabs a day, usually Woodbines. Saturdays a bunch of us would ride our bikes out, usually taking the Pennine route over to Buxton, in the next county, and grab a pub lunch and a couple of beers before heading back in the afternoon.

I lived with my girlfriend in the last village up the Holme valley but Saturday night meant heading a few miles down the road to Holmfirth, to the Rose and Crown. Hidden off the main street, it was known to one and all as 'the Nook'. The courtyard out front would be full of British motorcycles that are nowadays only seen at vintage rallies, while inside the owners would be putting away something like 3 or 4 quarts of ale apiece. There was an unofficial rule in place concerning the journey home. Travel on the main valley road was asking for trouble. The police would be patrolling armed with breathalysers, and over the limit meant a fine, an endorsement and the night in a cell. There was another road however, leading to the same destination, located a hundred feet further up the side of the valley. The police never used it and we all wobbled away home on the 'top road'. People used to fall off regularly, usually through 'running out of road', but the others would stop and haul them upright with much jollity to proceed on the way. I don't recall any serious injuries during the three years I was there even though the helmet law still hadn't been introduced.

So now I hear people talking £3 or £4 a pint, and tabs at around £7 for 20! And yet my pension only gives me about the same amount of beer money as I had way back then. To be honest, I'd rather die than pay those kind of prices for the sort of beer they sell around here. ;)

B :knight: