• 1. DDz Quorum

I use Steam, find it works well and minimal overhead too.

Has some nice functionality it provides, aside from updating software, such as ability to add in friends and get notifications when they are online, and be able to IM them.

It does allow an offline mode too, so a permanent connection is not required.

Will have to look into adding Steam IDs to the forums now :)

• 2. Administrators

I had problems with Steam installing CoD - Black Ops, but managed to get round it.

Reading the thread on the link, I'm staggered that some people would not buy the game if you need a Steam account - I mean, really, so what?

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

Not had an issue with Steam for years.

Works well and is a boon for keeping stuff up to date, plus the cloud concept is handy too - for the games that support it.

My Steam folder is 101GB...which says a fair bit I reckon.

Black Ops Jabo, now that was an over hyped POS if ever there was!

I played it less than 10 times, utter drivel..

• 2. Administrators

Black Ops Jabo, now that was an over hyped POS if ever there was!I played it less than 10 times, utter drivel..

True enough. It's just taking up space on my s/w shelf now. I've not bothered installing it again after reinstalling the OS a few weeks back.

Jabo

P.S. You back to B16ENK now then?

I have used Steam when I was playing Red Orchestra, Counter Strike and Day of Defeat Souce. I have never had a problem and my account is still valid. We wont need to worry about updating. The game will get updated as soon as you connect to Steam.

MT

Bunch of fooking wimmin panicking over nothing if you ask me. If Steam it is then steam it is, I'll bitch plenty if it don't work right, but for now it is what it is. So long as I get to enjoy the finest flight sim the world has ever seen with me mates, who cares what a bunch of random idiots on the interweb think anyways?

• 2. Administrators

+1 BA

I still have a Steam account from running Black Ops, so I'm good to go.

Jabo

P.S. I am wondering how using Steam affects the ability to mod the game though.

I like Steam because it let's me by a game once, and install it on multiple pcs. You can only login and play it on one pc at a time, but I love that because I can play it on my laptop if I want and also on my desktop...

If CoD is available on Steam I will definitly buy it there. I probably can't run the sim on my little laptop, but maybe I can study the aircraft and build missions?

I really like Steam. A while back, I had to re-install my OS, after the HDD died. It was a pain in the arse getting all these other newer, non-steam games, re-registered online in order to play them again. Whereas all the Steam games, I just re-installed Steam and it installed them all for me again. Sweet!

i use steam as well, i have 107 full ( not demos) games and have il2 as a non steam game. Good things about steam is you can create a clan group, handy as when you log on it tells you what your friends and members of your clan group are playing, (you CAN turn this feature off) and you can d/l you games as many times as you like

big thumbs up for me

now to get that h/d replaced

people have long memorys...

Overnight halflife and halflife-mod users had to change from a tried and trusted system to 'steam' which in the early days was short for STEAMing pile of s**t . This was when counter-srtike and DoD made up half of the entire online FPS community. Early steam was poorly implimented ,full of bugs and exploits and suffered from the wrath of the comunity forced to use it ....

Todays steam is a world away from steam 1.0 .Its stable , secure (for a given value of secure :unsure: ) ,easy to use and has some nice features

One of the best features that I use is if you have a new machine all you have to do is install steam...input your email adress and password and wait.. All by itself it will install all your steam registered games complete with all current patches and upgrades :goodjob: just thick how much quicker your IL2 install would be.

one of the downsides is we will lose the ability to mod the game again... If the impliment online security like VAC or punkbuster and the engine detects a mod you will be in breach of the EULA and could face an online ban :-\