time for a new computer

JensenPark

Hi kind and gentle folks (ok, I think most of you qualify as 'folks' at least).

I figured it is time to replace the beast as I've had it for 6 years...and I think it has reached its upgrade limit.

Tired of waiting for BoB - and can't imagine anything great will change requirement-wise over the next six months or so till it is out.

So, computer literate people...can you give me a shopping list of things I can bring the to the local geek shop to build me a new one.

Thanks much as always,

Kelly

friar got a nice machine

http://www.dangerdogz.com/forums/index.php/topic,7284.msg61196.html#msg61196

have a read through his thread mate as it has good info - as always you get what you pay for but if its just for il2 then you dont have to go full bore, if its upgrade potential then check out what some of the latest fps gamer sites recommend e.g. for arma 2

Optimal PC System Requirements

I would go with sli or crossfire. for the vid and windows 7 as the ops system. remember that IL2 will only run on one core so get as fast as you can afford. also there are graphic glitch with IL2 and the newer ATI cards I'm hopeing the new drivers fix this. Il2 is old and BoB will be very new so your going to have to compromise somewhere.

Well, I'm in the process of this myself.

Upgrading from my ATI 1950 pro to this.

I just ordered a 260gtx from dell Tue. 129.00 after rebates and stuff.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Graphics_Cards/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=A2383034&dgc=BF&cid=7421&lid=197378

I'm hoping that will let me play ROF a bit better till I can save the money for a new Mobo/CPU

I'm definitely skipping the dual core stuff, and going onto quad core, from my single core AMD 3700+

My friends flying/beta testing ROF are just able to host a game and fly with dual cores, and the Quad core guys are stressing a bit, but able to manage it just fine.

I can only guess SOW will be just as rough on our stuff.

I'm along the lines of this possibly in the next few months of one peice at a time, or just saving till I'm close and then grabbing it all at once, by then prices should be a bit lower.

If I'd of had the money I'd of left Kansas City today with this.

PSU 150

Toms Hardware has some performance charts and recommended packages.

My impressions.

Intel chips and nVidia cards give you the best bang for buck.

A 64 bit OS running a DX10 capable card will outperform a Crossfire or SLI setup for less $.

I myself have to upgrade, starting with a new HD, Win 7(64 bit) and more RAM(to 4G total). Soon followed by a quad core Intel CPU @ 2.83 (replacing dual core 2.66)

the 9800 is an nvidea 9800gt, this was all in the news a couple of years ago about the naming of cards and how nvidea have a new card with the same product name as an ati one from a couple of years before. its an alright card but for the same money you could have something better(see below) ok so you still need a monitor and you'll need to get a copy of windows but its got an i7 processor :boxer:

im not sure if they deliver to canada(if thats where you are but it would be worth a ring to find out) and the system is configarable so you could add an os for 100 or get a free upgrade to win 7 voucher for 29. just remeber if you get xp or vista (non 64 bit versions ) then you need to downgrade to 3gig memory, or stay with 6 gig and get the 64 bit versions.

As Sulky said the 9800 is the nvidea upgrade to the 8800 that I run just now. It isnt the fastest available but good enough for what you want just now.

e.g. I have a dual core Intel processor and 512mb nvidea 8800GT and 2mb memory and I get rock steady 60 fps with nsync on across anything the game can throw at me e.g. black death or kamikazi track, I can also run ARMA 2 so far with little slowdown

if you can stretch an extra 220$ this will do for at least 2-3 yrs and even then it will only be a gfx upgrade,now thats with a 500gb hard drive, and vista 64 premium with a very reduced windows 7 upgrade, failing that go with the nvidia 9800 gt and this set up for 100$ less but its not as future proof graphiocs wise

from the company you said, and it is the best system for around that money, although thinking that if you could find a us supplier that delivers to you for the same price you could have something similar to the previous post i put up

Entra SLI A2500 (Q3054514)

differance in performace is so small that unless you were a terminator and wanted to see how long the seek time in ms was for the asta la vista speech then you would never notice :gone_fishing: and on that system its not an option but if i was too get it all and make it myself..........

ive got a raptor and in my second some random h/d and i rarely notice a differane unless im running a h/d intensive program. you could get no h/d on your setup and buy a raptor to put in it?