Back in business - yeeeeha!

DD_Brando

:madpc:

A couple of weeks ago I did a clumsy BIOS flash and rendered the motherboard on the gaming rig U/S :-\

I happened to mention it to my wife and she replied that I'd better just get a new one - and would £700 cover it??

As I picked myself up off the floor she explained that she knew what a big part of my life the internet is and that this was my birthday present :-*

I got busy and ordered up my bits from Overclockers:

Asus Crosshair III mobo

AMD Phenom II Quad-core 955 Black Edition

Asus Radeon 4890

PC P&C 750W PSU

2x2Gb OCZ Reaper 1333MHz RAM

Hiper Anubis mid-tower case

It sure can take a while to assemble a PC one-handed! But I persevered and only needed help when it came to filling up the water-cooling system. That was yesterday, and I left the system overnight to make sure that there were no leaks. Today I completed the wiring and booted straight into Windows :knight:

It took a while to get all the drivers sorted...and I still have to sort out the audio side of things....and recharge the batteries in my camera...but I can safely say that I'm up and running again.

The postman brought today's other great news - Valda has passed her MSc with flying colours!

Tonight we're gonna get drunk :drunken_smilie:

Yeeeeeeha!!!!

• 1. DDz Quorum

congratulations to mrs b, it seems that being married to a dog is good for you (see thread for mrs sid) perhaps we should use these examples when we have our backs to the wall...

I wondered where you'd been

dont forget pedistal is running (dogfight internal campagn run on sundays)

Salute and I look forward to flying with you soon

Fan-freaking-tastic! Congrats on the new rig and a hearty Congrats to Valda both on the great test results and on realizing that she married a different sort of creature that herself, not many get that (of either sex). Smart girl that one. (And smart lad for findin' her)

Niiiiiice m8, what do you get on the Black Death track?

Jabo

Well, I have vertical refresh enabled to avoid seeing tearing of the cockpit bars when I swing my head around. This keeps my fps tied to the monitor's refresh rate, so it doesn't go over 65 or so. but the cool part is that my minimum has pretty much doubled. Here's a couple of examples.

First the old Radeon x1950 Pro with the AMD x2 6000+ cpu:

2009-06-18 11:24:31 - il2fb

Frames: 6147 - Time: 150000ms - Avg: 40.980 - Min: 19 - Max: 63 V-Synch is On, Perfect settings but with some details dumbed down in conf.ini - note the minimum 19

Second the 4890 with the x4 955:

2009-07-26 00:53:42 - il2fb

Frames: 8407 - Time: 150000ms - Avg: 56.047 - Min: 32 - Max: 65 V-Synch is On, Perfect settings turned up all the way, very playable :)

Finally, for the total FPS-monkey ;) :

2009-07-26 00:47:38 - il2fb

Frames: 12231 - Time: 150000ms - Avg: 81.540 - Min: 32 - Max: 189 V-Synch is Off. Perfect settings as above, but AA & AF have Use application settings checked. If you don't mind tearing this is is pretty wacky :D

I flew some more Slovenia this a.m. (Jugs this time) I have clocked the 4890 out to 960MHz GPU/ 1050MHz Memory with manual fan control @ 45%. The CPU is clocked to 3.41GHz.

The secondary monitor displayed PC Probe gauges for all temps and voltages, and the Catalyst "Ati Overdrive" page was open as well as the TS display. 6 live pilots.

It flew smooth as silk. The CPU temp stayed solid at 35C. The GPU temp never exceeded 46C! For the first time I am confidently able to minimise the game and mess with settings, open browsers and so on, knowing that I'll be able to jump back into the game whenever I want to. TrackIR works like it should too, and with 'Smoothing' set to 100%. Marvellous.

I still can't fly worth a damn - and now I've run out of excuses!