Thunderstorm - lucky shot

Sweper

Here's a shot taken from over the top - and a quote from the pilot who took it:

"How bout this Moth'a...I was at 41000ft and it was at least 8000 higher than I was.. and it was only 1400L. This was yesterday on the Kansas Nebraska border..I understand she did alot of mischief

last night. I gave her a wide birth...see ya'll online tomorrow."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mates! Really appreciate your comments.

To take decent pics of a thunderstorm you have to be on the right place at the right time. All my pics were lucky shots because the thunderstorm passed just over my place and all I did was rigged my camera pushed the trigger (out through my window!) and kept my fingers crossed that anything "flashy" would be framed.

My dream is to be on a place with a nice landscape sceenery or view and have my camera ready when it starts to thunder, on fairly distance of course. This week has been extremly hot and I am just waiting on the wheather to change. It were several thunders and heavy rain warnings south from my place, but it never reached up here.

~S~

Swep

Thanks mates! Really appreciate your comments.

To take decent pics of a thunderstorm you have to be on the right place at the right time. All my pics were lucky shots because the thunderstorm passed just over my place and all I did was rigged my camera pushed the trigger (out through my window!) and kept my fingers crossed that anything "flashy" would be framed.

My dream is to be on a place with a nice landscape sceenery or view and have my camera ready when it starts to thunder, on fairly distance of course. This week has been extremly hot and I am just waiting on the wheather to change. It were several thunders and heavy rain warnings south from my place, but it never reached up here.

~S~

Swep

Rico,

If I ever won the lottery, that is one of the things I'd love to do. Go tornado chasing in the mid-west for a few weeks.

But if I won the lottery, I'd probably buy a decent surplus army APC and do it up and drive around in that, instead of some lightweight SUV.

;)

Rico,

If I ever won the lottery, that is one of the things I'd love to do. Go tornado chasing in the mid-west for a few weeks.

But if I won the lottery, I'd probably buy a decent surplus army APC and do it up and drive around in that, instead of some lightweight SUV.

;)

• 3 months later...

~S~ An update. Some more thunder pics, this time from Majorca where the weather was a bit unsteady the first two days. I brought a mini tripod and the picks were shot from the back side of house where i stayed. From the same place where I´m sitting having a beer on another pic.

4001253258_f855f70407_o.jpg

4000487947_b8b474b325_o.jpg

4000488155_b7e004bc64_o.jpg

4000488397_885f73bb08_o.jpg

Swep

What settings did you shoot them at Sweper?

:bg:

Thanks mates, I appreciate your comments!

Jim, I used a vr 70-300 on a tripod (of course) at 185mm, f/9, 30 seconds, Manual settings for time and f-stop, Matrix metering, ISO 200 and all pics were shot with RAW adjusted with ViewNx and converted to Jpeg.

Second two pics I zoomed in to 300mm and f/6.3 at 30 seconds and ISO 400 because it´s been a little darker and I wanted the pics to be a bit lighter. Same as above.

Swep

Edit: I forgot to mention that I set the selftimer to 10 seconds and had a mirror delay of 1 second to avoid vibrations.

• 1 year later...

Here we go again. Finally I got out and captured a couple of decent shots of a thunderstorm. Daytime (well, 7 pm or near) but pretty dark due to overcast. Used a tripod and a 24-85 lens. Stod on a ridge and the first lightnings were not too close. After a while a new tunderstorm came in from the south, much closer this time, and I decided to go in to my car and drive back home.

5895553580_c91bda1c1d_b.jpg

5894986461_b58e434127_b.jpg

5895553372_fd3901d2d5_b.jpg