DUST BUNNIES !!!!!!

delta7

Just moved PC to a new desk and decided to clean out the insides - it was disgusting and full of dust - so just a reminder that its a good time to check your grear and give it a spring clean.

Remember to take precautions against static

I use a hairdrier set to cool to blow out the worst and then a natural bristle brush ( NOT NYLON !!!!!! ) to clean tricky areas

Is the hairdryer better to use than a vacuum (which I use normally)?

Whatever has the most power, I'm sure the vacuum is the most powerful tool most have available.

I give mine a vacuum, then I get in there with a few spurts of the canned air right into the PSU and the CPU fins too.

The vacuum could produce a lot of static so take care. I wrap a foot of bare wire around the hose with an alligator clip to the chassis.

We used to suck up dry sand with a 6" hose and if the hose wasn't grounded you would get a 3" spark off your elbow in seconds.

Vacuum here, I have several. Only because I don't have an air compressor (and want the inline drier too!). I use the home vacuum for the big stuff, not getting too close to any components. It is the strongest sucker we have, so it also works well to suck the dust and debris away when held close to the area you spray with canned air or compressor. Keeps the clouds of dust from settling on everything in the room too!

I use a lot of canned air, but a very nice brush I got with a tapered end works wonders at saving on the air bill. Keep the vacumm close when brushing out dust, works like a charm.

I have a small rechargeable that I can take with me on calls, and because it is not plugged into anything, it has a much lower static risk.

Then I have another small portable that plugs into the wall. It has great sucking power, will not run out of battery, and a cheapo hose instead of just a knozzle on the end. It's a Shark Turbo Hand Vac, sold at Canadian Tire for less than $20 on sale. It works great in the shop as well as out on calls. Using it mostly like the home vac when it isn't available.

I'd like to get a decent shop vac, that blows as well as sucks. I'd use that instead of an air compressor, and only use the thing on computers to keep it from getting dirty.

I've hear of people using leaf blowers, just be careful as they are huge power and could blow a card out of a slot.

• 2. Administrators

Vac and compressor for me - I've just written a business case for getting both in at work - we go thru so many cans of air I reckon the compressor will pay for itself inside a financial quarter. Mind you, the state of some of the machines we get in...Urgh. I've taken to using a mask and gloves when handling the worst cases. Given what the major component in 'dust' is, I reckon that's just a sensible precaution.

~S~ Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

Given what the major component in 'dust' is, I reckon that's just a sensible precaution.

Now QI dispelled the myth that dust is mostly human origin, in my house for instance it is mostly brick and plaster dust generated by the hourly passing of large articulated lorries, that have managed to reach 35+ MPH in the 1/2 mile stretch from the church up top before they brake hard for the roundabout (or they just ignore it and bounce over it as it is a mini-roundabout) 200 yds down from my house..

One of the reasons why I am attempting to move to somewhere a good deal quieter!