Help My Soldier!

Rico

• 2. Administrators

Hi Rico,

Probably the easiest way to get Broadband is via a mobile internet contract with one of the mobile phone providers ("3", "Vodafone" and "T-Mobile" being just 3 that there are available here) PAYG types are also available, but are generally extortionate. Your oppo might have problems getting one of these as she's not a UK resident (3 years is usually the minimum required). Which will leave her with 2 options - DSL via one of the landline providers (BT, TalkTalk, Sky etc) or cable (Virgin is, AFAIK the only national one, but coverage is patchy). I use BT and have been very happy (mostly) with their service - not the cheapest, but reliable (when I'm not screwing around with the settings

• 1. DDz Quorum

If its just for emails and she would not mind dial up, google "free dial-up" for the UK. there are lots of companies. She does not need a contract so if its a temporary posting she wont be committed (as she would be be a phone or cable company). All you have to watch is the price per minute for connection. They have peak and off peek rates. Peek rates tend to be around 5 pence (100 to the pound) a minute, off peek about 3p.

All you have to do is put the dial up number into the modem. The websites will give setup information.

The other option is to "piggyback" a neighbours wireless connection and offer to give a contribution towards the fee.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably the biggest challenge over there would be to get indoor plumbing.

Young man,

I'd have you know that we have a perfectly excellent DSL connection to our earth-closet in the back garden. Many's the night I have spent out there, perched on our luxury, treble-hole, family model plank and musing on the wonders of the Internet.

Recently I discovered how to ease up a bit on the spade-work. When the smell gets too bad, try Google Earth. :rolleyes:

B