Well That Didnt End Well :(

Crash

So I tried the recovery like FT suggested but no good. I then tried to use my True Image boot disk to make a back up of the windows partition but it wouldnt do that. Next I booted into linux and backed up my docs and download folder ready to instal windows but it wouldnt instal as it couldnt create a system partition. Oh well I thought, I could try to install on  the other hard drive but again it couldnt create a system partition. Back to Disk Director to split the other drive so as I could install on a new partion. It now informs me that it will take ELEVEN  hours just to resize the partition. Looks like I will be buying a SSD to put win7 on. I dont know when I will be up and running again.

• 2. Administrators

Sorry to hear this dude. Key thing to remember about win 7 is that it likes to sort the partitions itself rather than have it done separately. Whenever I do a windows reinstall I strip the partitions off the target drive and point the installer at the drive and leave the rest to windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1. DDz Quorum

Carp!

Now I know this stuff can be very.... weird.

It seems silly how many ' hidden'  and extra partitions are being created automatically...

I could suggest more repair actions, but I realize they will not really help, as I got too little info currently...

What change did set this all off then?

(Mind you, I would not be surprised if you could not tell! The last time I installed an SSD to replace a traditional harddisk, it somehow ended it up with the main OS on it, but its boot partition was on the old one...)

And there's no way you can get it to run simply? Just enough to get IL2 running?

Idea: Use a USB stick, use that as system partition?

Just for a temporary solution!

Current update : There are now 7 hours left to resize the partition :wacko: The plan is to unplug the old boot drive then set up the old spare as the boot drive, and hopefully install Billys masterpiece onto the recently created partition. IF that works plug in the other drive that has all the fight sims installed on and go from there. Anyway the SSD drive will be the future boot drive so who knows what will happen? Its so exciting being 65!

Well I played about and I am now installing Windows. As the DVD is without any service packs it looks like there will be a lot of crap to update. I have lost my TrackIr profiles but not the Target stuff as thats on another partition Oh well I will try to get it running for the SEOW tonight.

My suggestion is to make a True Image backup (from a boot CD) once you have all the service packs updated and keep it as a virgin copy to fall back on. Then do another one once you get all your software back in place. I always keep at least the past three image backups. It has saved me more than once to have restore my drive. Good luck and you will love the SSD.

@ Arthur thats what I thought too.......What has happened so far is, remove old nvidia drivers, remove old card, attempt to fit new card but it was slightly too long, remove boot drive and hard drive cage, fitted new card, attempted to fit hard drive in new position, remove one stick of memory to allow  hard drive to fit in new position, connect all cables (I had to go into the loft to get the correct cable to power the new card) refit memory plug everything back into the computer and switch it on :) However it wouldnt start so boot into Linux and it all works. Booted with Disk Director which showed C drive as Primary, Active and unallocated. Window was hiding in the D drive. Things just went downhill from there.

The latest news is that the motherboard cant see the dvd drive. As the old one is IDE with a SATA  adapter plugged into it I will pop down to the computer shop tomorrow and buy a SATA one, remove every thing, wipe the bios and start again. Deep joy :(

• 2. Administrators

I'd be inclined to reset the bios to the default by popping out the battery back up (making sure the unit is not connected to the mains first) then just connecting the SSD and DVD drive. Once that boots install windows and add a basic set of drivers (network card) and let windows sort out the updates. Then reconnect the data drives and away you go.

Feel free to ring me if you want a (virtual) hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good so far. When all updates and shit are installed I will make an image. The last time I tried this I made the backup successfully but when I came to use it the dialog box said 6 hrs left to install. Even ten minutes later it said 6 hrs to go. Would there be any reason why it would be so slow? The SSD might be here tomorrow so what should the procedure be?