X52 Going Tits Up

Tonar

After many years of service and 2 years of toddler abuse I am ready to replace.

But with what?  I have a $150 budget.

x52-pro

Thrust Master

MSFFB2 used

CH

I am leaning towards the x52pro or the CH

what would a Dog recommend?

• 2. Administrators

Used an X52 Pro for a long time then switched to a Sidewinder 2 FFB stick but retained the x52 throttle. Hopefully your x52 throttle is still OK so you could match that up with a MSFFB and have change from your $150!

Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

The last models made had Part# X08 on the bottom.  Prior to those were X05.  It probably depends on how much they were used, but these two models were considered the best of the lot.

The ultimate setup within reason for IL-2 would probably be a MSFFB2 red and a X52 Pro throttle with either decent store bought or custom built rudder pedals.

I have a CH fighterstick I picked up online for about $40. It's virtually brand new. Great for flying anything with advanced avionics and radar like DCS or Falcon BMS but I still prefer the MSFFB2 for both IL-2 and CLOD. I didn't find it so great for ROF, you need to turn the forces down considerably or fighting the torque/ungulations of the plane gets a bit hard on the wrist. The CH is a very precise piece of equipment but once you've flown IL-2 with a MSFFB2 nothing else feels quite right. I'm thinking I should pick up 1 or 2 more MSFFB2 before too long so I have spare parts.

It might actually be possible to remake the stick using the same driver but would require a lot of work. I've toyed with the idea of upgrading the system to a more robust version perhaps using several metal parts and newer servos. I'd have to buy another stick just to prototype though cause there is no way I am messing with my current one which works beautifully. The only part of the system that would be difficult to replace would be the PC boards. To that extent the only thing I see possibly going out would be some power components or servo drives which should be repairable by a skilled electronics technician. The circuit board quality seems very good on the one I own, solder work would seem to stand little chance of screwing them up. Some on the cheap boards I've seen can only handle so much before the wire traces start coming off.

Thanks all for your insight,

I have won an auction on ebay for a MSFFB2 with the earlier X05 model#.  winning price of $41.  My X52 throttle still works fine so it will continue to serve me like it has for so many years.

Fingers crossed it works when I receive it.

• 2. Administrators

If you get the original discs it shipped with, don't bother trying to install them on Windows 7 as they're not compatible - the OS will pick up the joystick and install the drivers just fine though.

Jabo