So About This New Fangled "cliffs Of Rising Dover Flight"

Painless

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Chaps,

Just got back from visiting Fruitbat and Fenrir and I had a great time. I also got to see and fly both RoF and CLOD for the very first time on full whistles and bells on Kev's machine.

I have to say that although I am still very much for IL2 , I can now see exactly what all of our RoF and CLOD fans are raving about.

It really was a revalation to me to see just how good the RoF flight models are and how good the graphics are especially the "LOD" as they call it. Great fun to fly.

As for CLOD wow.... Again the graphics and flight models which have been sorted are absolutely superb but I am told that there are still issues with the "LOD" and high altitude performance of some of the planes. Even so at low / medium levels it was awsome to watch the graphics and "feel" the aircraft handling. I really liked having to set up the compass, set up the gunsight, warm the engine in a Spitfire before take off. It was a great challenge to set the throttle in a 109E1 and use the prop pitch alone to maintain optimum revs and power.

So there you go chaps, if like me previously you haven't had a go at these "new" sims I would highly recommend doing so on a powerful PC.

Perhaps one day we will find room in the DDz for all three of these excellent sims on a more regular basis.

To those of you who have been playing RoF and / or CLOD for ages well..... I can see why ;)

~S~ A most impressed Painless.

The hardware requirements are out of my reach at this point and time for me to even run it.

I have no doubt that the graphics are great. Look at IL2, and it is really old.

But be sure the next time I am near Fruitbat's house I'll knock on his door.

Painless, I fly 'em both on a regular basis. More regular than IL2 1946 really. I believe our systems are near identical; Intel E8400 @ 3ghz , 4gigs DDR3 memory and an Nvidia 460GTX card on Win 7 64bit and they both run very acceptably for me. You can download the demo of RoF for free and I think CLoD can be obtained for a pittance if you have a hunt around.

Worth the effort. :)

~S~ Chaps,

Just went mad online and ordered a Nvidia 580 GTX from "Scan" @ £244 all in. Am currently hiding from Siobhan in the wood shed !

That should future proof me a bit ay : )

~S~ P.

Bloody hell! Do me a favour; force Friar to buy your old 460 off you - should please the wife - then I can force him to accept my spare copy of CLoD which has had his name on it this past year....and a bit. It's a win-win situation! :D

Coliiiiiiiiiin, would you like my old 460GTX M8 ? No charge :D

How was that Arthur :huh: LOL

~S~ P.

That's very decent of you Mick. However, I'm pretty sure Colin is a man of honour and would insist that a few of the Sisters come round and BenDover for you at the very least. After all, it's a great little card. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon he has no future to proof so far as Siobhan is concerned right now, and don't wood sheds usually have heavy sharp objects in them?

My thoughts exactly - and there's an e-con to match

:camp: - this one is called "nuts roasting on an open fire"

Seasonal anyway :P

CLOD arrived from Amazon yesterday. Installation and setting up the Steam account went OK. I fumbled around a bit with settings and controls, and did a bit of actual flying. Overall it was a good experience, considering my 3 year old PC. Frame rates (on Medium graphics settings) were in the 20-30 range. I love the cockpit detail and the scenery. I have a long learning curve ahead of me and I need some more computing power to take advantage of this simulation, but it looks promising.

SkyPup, what are your systems specs? My specs are core2duo running at 3ghz, 4gig of ddr3 ram and an nvidia gtx460. These are my CLoD video settings;

Launcher2012-11-0419-17-32-09.jpg

With this I get a smoothish game with this performance;

Launcher2012-11-0123-39-47-54.jpg

Launcher2012-11-0100-38-07-77.jpg

If you have an nvidia card, I also enable fxaa in the nvidia control panel. Oh yeah, get rid of the (useless) mirror on Hurri and Spit for an extra 10-15fps!!