Just Picked Up A Msffb2, Now What Do I Do?

Gothkrieger

Just picked up a MSFFB2, I hope it will work and is not busted.

I did not get a software / install disk with it, just the stick. I run Windows XP. Do I have to hunt down drivers on the web or does Windows have what I will need?

Do I have to activate it in IL2 somehow, a config file edit?

I am still running my X45 throttle so I have the X45 stick hooked up as well, what do I do to make the MSFFB2 the primary or only joystick?

Will I be able to program IL2's controls by just selecting a command and depressing a joystick button or will I have to have software installed (like my X45 does)?

So in other words, Help!

Plug it in.

Fire up game

Set your axis commands to the MFFB

Then test fly it,

If you like it, use it as is.

If its not quite to your liking, then you will need to adjust the sliders for Elevator, Aileron, and rudder to your liking. Just like you did or probably did with the X-45.

I'm heading to work now. no time to expand on it any more.

• 1. DDz Quorum

You only need the software if you want to map key combinations to buttons.

Single key mapping requires no software, and is done within the controls section of IL2.

Like TOAD says, plug it in and assign axis in game then enjoy :)

Have plugged the stick in and it seems to work fine. I have to figure out what to do to get the X45 throttle working, at the moment the Throttle is just acting as a button bay, the throttle, rudder are not responding at all. The throttle on base of MSFFB is actuating throttle in sim as well as twist of stick is actuating rudder and that’s not how I want it.

Will I be able to sort this out in the control assignment part of the sim?

What is Joystick 1, Joystick 2 etc. all about?

• 2. Administrators

When using two separate joysticks, it's a good idea to redo your axes assignments from scratch. So delete pitch and roll axes and assign them to the msffb. I don't understand why you wouldn't want the rudder on the twist axis unless you already have pedals. If you do though, delete the yaw assignment and reassign using the pedals. Ditto the throttle. Il2 will sort out which joystick it is automatically. For example, my sidewinder is stick 1, the x52 throttle quadrant stick 2 and the button bay prototype, stick 3. It all works nicely together.

Jabo

Have not had a chance to toy with it again. What little free time I get I try and fly rather than set things up. Yes, I know I am bad. Been thinking though, without any software do you have any control over how the force feedback reacts. I want it mainly for flight characteristics and not so much shaking all over when the guns are firing; my gunnery is not that good yet. I would think that without software of some kind you would get just what you would get, with no ability to adjust.

Before you start worrying about controlling force feedback etc I would try the stick as it is. You might not even want to turn forcefeedback on. Many of us haven't

Really! I thought that was the main point of getting the stick LOL. I didn't realize that the stick was that accurate as a control device as compared to other sticks that it would be desired for that reason alone. I know I will be giving up buttons that I am used to having on my stick to use it.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I fly with it on, the feedback is good, but toning down the gun and cannon forces is a must I would say.

That said the quality of the stick is such that even with forces off it is superior to most other sticks.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I posted the zip file containing the configs in your other MSFFB2 topic, along with instructions.

Would link you to it, but a couple (as in 2) glasses of wine and an epic battle (won) with installing server 2008 over the network on my own HP server have left me drained.

Will happily give more guidance tomorrow :)

I have saved that info to my IL2 stuff directory, will track that down and have a look at it.

Have basic MSFFB working with X45 unit, will fly it tonight to check it out. No force feedback for now. Baby steps; have to learn the buttons again. Would have preferred the hat switch in lower position rather than fire button, but what do I know.