Red Bull Corsair And P-38 To Appear At Fl This Year!

BluBear

It has been confirmed that the Flying Bulls collection will be sending over their P-38 and Corsair to Duxford this year for Flying Legends.

Clicky here!

This along with the possibility of a Mosquito stopping off from Oz to USA is a mouthwatering prospect.

This will also be the first time since 1996 that a P-38 has been seen in the skies of England.

I simply cannot wait!!!!! :thumbsu::pic:

• 2. Administrators

Lovely, that mirror polished P-38 looks great, it'll be a treat to see it in July. Now I'll definitely be camped at the airfield on the Friday - probably on the bank up by the LWH or at the AirSpace end

On a more sombre note, I saw Hoof flying the P-38 in '96 only a couple of weeks before the crash at Dux. Very sad.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

It's been restored over a long period of time in Australia, but is more or less complete now. There have been rumours for ages that it would stop off in the UK en-route to the US, although this seems to be a very long way round. If it is at Duxford, I'll be a very happy camper. There aren't many twins on the UK airshow circuit, so the possibility of seeing two never-before seen aircraft at Duxford is indeed mouth-watering.

Jabo

This could really be fantastic! If they're going to fly the Mossie from Aus. to the US (as opposed to dismantling it and freighting it by ship) then the route which gives shortest flight time over water would be Aus-Singapore-India-Gulf-Europe-US. Although a trans-pacific flight would be shortest route I can't see a Mossie having the range. Thats an awful lot of water to cross. Going to be an epic whatever they do. Would make a fantastic documentary!

• 2. Administrators

It certainly won't cross the pacific. The Mossie's maximum range with drop tanks was only a whisker over 1900 miles. Personally I can't see them flying it all that way, too much risk to the aircraft and crew when they can simply crate it and pop it on a boat.

One thing in it's favour is that the owner has expressed a wish that the aircraft come here so that may be a hopeful sign.

Jabo

Personally I can't see them flying it all that way, too much risk to the aircraft and crew when they can simply crate it and pop it on a boat.

Jabo

I agree, I can't see anyone risking a newly restored, unique piece of history on a flight of that length. On the other hand there are great risks to a crated, delicate structure on a long sea voyage from storm damage, heat and humidity (think of all that glue) salt water ingress and just plain bad handling of the container in port. Gonna be interesting.

• 1. DDz Quorum

It has been confirmed that the Flying Bulls collection will be sending over their P-38 and Corsair to Duxford this year for Flying Legends.

Clicky here!

This along with the possibility of a Mosquito stopping off from Oz to USA is a mouthwatering prospect.

This will also be the first time since 1996 that a P-38 has been seen in the skies of England.

I simply cannot wait!!!!! :thumbsu::pic:

~S~ BluBear sir,

I just wet myself !!! LOL

~S~ Painless.

• 2. Administrators

You're right Arthur, the mossies had big problems with the humidity in the tropics causing delamination of the structure. This is why kermit weeks' once-airworthy mossie (bought from the uk) is rotting in a hangar in Florida.

I'm sure whoever does the transportation will take the necssary precautions.

I would be beside myself to see a mosquito fly again, what a plane. Pretty darn happy with the p-38 too!!

Jabo