Sid's Mig

Sid

• 1. DDz Quorum

I think we ought to have a modeller's area - hints and tips and to show off stuff, watcha think?

This is a thread on a 1/48 scale 'Trumpeter' (as opposed to Airfix or Revell) MiG3. I haven't built a plane for years but still have some gear and the paint collection. Anyway, I have restarted this hobby and wanted to build something to try out a few techniques. I should have taken more photos but maybe next time.

It's built 'out of the box' apart from adding a pilot figure and some finer exhausts.

This is the cockpit under construction

DSCN0037.jpg

A few more bits added and the aircraft is taking shape

DSCN0091.jpg

Still a WIP, but now with paint and markings applied and awaiting a weathering wash, exhaust heat and smoke marks and varnishing, matt (flat) finish on the wooden areas ie, rear fuselage and wings and a satin on the metal areas.

DSCN0154.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

I intend putting it on a stand as if flying. The markings and scheme are fictional but hey, it's my MiG......

I'll put some more up when done.

Cheerzen

• 1. DDz Quorum

The small paint reservoir cylinder that clips onto the side flew off! I connected the air can to the airbrush and turned it on. I had a little spit of paint through the vent hole on the cylinder lid, then when I pushed the airbrush lever to start spraying the lid popped off, the force popping off the reservoir and sending it somewhere behind the chest freezer...where it can stay!

Nice start Sid

I understand your pain with airbrushes , still not got the hang of them properly but the finish is great when they work

I started with canisters but gave up quickly, they always run out of stop flowing at the worst time , you need to get a compressor if you want to continue seriously

from your suggestion Iv started a tips section so hopefully the airbrush gurus can give us both some help

S

I agree with Dave. I'll never go back to hand brushing again! Look around for a good setup, avoid canisters of air: I got a decent setup for Christmas 3 years past for about $250 CDN. Don't give up, Sid!

Looks great so far, BTW! I want to get a few Russian birds for my collection.

• 2 years later...
  • 1. DDz Quorum

The MiG has had a makeover....it is a winter scheme over the basic green. Inspiration was this:

1_91_a1.jpg

1_91.jpg

that was found here http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/457/1

Nearly there with the painting, final detail like exhausts and detail needed:

DSCN4088.jpg

DSCN4087.jpg

DSCN4090.jpg

Sprayed with Tamiya acrylics from a can with masking tape, cardboard templates edged with BluTack for the camo edges. Spinner had 3 coats of white, engine cowling had 2 and fuselage had 1 to give the weathered and worn look.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Skiddu,

Looks very good in winter camo m8. Did you have any problems with surface detail not showing up as well because of the many layers of paint it now has ?

I only ask because on my 1/32 Heinkel 111 I'm going to try spraying dark grey panel lines,(pre shading) blue underneath, then all over green on the top surfaces, then splinter dark green, then gloss varnish (for the decals to sit on), then weathering, then matt varnish. :wacko:

~S~ P.

• 1. DDz Quorum

To be honest the photos don't do it justice. Whilst the original painted lines for the panels that were fine on the orange scheme are covered in the paint the new panel line weathering done after the camo has been put on is fine - just doesn't show up in the photos.

Painting the panel lines before putting on the camo coats is a good idea though and, with thin coats sprayed on it can take quite a few coats to cover them completely. Gloss varnish and then matt varnish have very little effect on the line's visiiblity as they are clear - the only thing I found that was on the blue Tigercat the weathering I did on the finished paintwork before I applied the final semi gloss varnish topcoat all disappeared. Trial and error really, I am currently weathering as a final act over all the varnish coats. Seeing how it works.

• 1. DDz Quorum

~S~ Skudders,

Let me know how you get on with the last bit ! :D

I'd like to know if there is any noticable missmatch between the general varnished finish and the overlaying weathering finish regarding how matt or silk they are in relation to each other. (if you know what I mean bro')

~S~ P.