Thinking about changing flight controller

CaptJackG

I'm currently running a TM Cougar (modded with hall sensors and IJ's NXT) but ever since I had a spring break that I replaced I can't get it to work properly. It doesn't hold its' axis profile (I don't know if this may be related to going to Win 7). Anyway I've decided I'm going to sell the cougar and replace with another stick and am looking for suggestions. I'm thinking either a Saitek 52 or CH 940 setup. Any suggestion or information would be really appreciated.

Hmm...

The same old question.Saitek or CH.I think they're like Ford or Chevy.I personally like the Saitek,which I've had for 3 yrs now.Lots of buttons for programming,and quite comfortable even after hrs of flying.I'd buy another one in a minute.

btw,I've always driven a Ford too...go figure.

Not quite the same old question... The G940 is made by Logitech, not CH, and it's a 3 part HOTAS. It's getting mixed reviews out in the simming world, especially regarding the force-feedback and the dead-zone characteristics. I'd do some careful research before jumping into this one.

B

• 1. DDz Quorum

I'm with Brando, I got a G940 set.

It's up for sale. (Has been for a while. Prices appear to be dropping at online shops. Not good. For me.)

I may not (be able to) sell it at all, and may give it another go.

But I did not like it at all. FFB did not feel good, messy and inconsequent. Too big a deadzone at center stick (FFB wise)

Could be just me, being used to quite a different FFB stick.

Could be due to tuning, which I did not really try.

But, do not just get the G940 like I did!

First, make sure you like it...

• 1. DDz Quorum

Kimosabi wrote:

Much better to just fly without it. Then you have perfect centering again.

Now that's exactly what I mean by questioning the G940's FFB-capabilities...

It does a better job without it?!? :o

Crash wrote:

Is there anywhere you can get your money back?

Not me, not over there where I got it. My mistake, I knew it before hand, took the gamble.

I was going to put the X52

FoolTrottel, I meant that it drops FFB every time you ALT-TAB and opens the game again. I like the FFB on it myself but it's kinda hard to find center when taking off etc. Without FFB it has a pre-load so that the stick always stays centred when you let go off it. I have no problems with deadzones at all. I may be weird too though.

Me, I'll stick with my modified CH HOTAS - rapidly approaching its seventh year of constant use with no problems to report. Apart from the lack of force-feedback I can't really find anything bad to say about it. It could use a few more rotary controls or sliders, but there a ways of getting around that. It is run by the finest software ever written for flightgear and is supported through an excellent web-site, the CH-Hangar. The software writer, Bob Church, is usually available to give help with scripting and trouble-shooting, and there are loads of folk who can help with maps and guides. There is even a guide on how to modernise the old CH FX (force-feedback) if you are lucky enough to find one.

B

I'm still looking at the X65, I'm not so sure that it will suck yet, and I like all the buttons, and the split throttle. I'd love to be able to actually try it though.......

After a long bleat about it not being FFB on the Saitek forum, I suggested to Saitek that due to the cost of the stick that they did a try before you buy scheame, but they said no. I also suggested attending the Flying Legends this year and they said maybe. I have now gone and ordered a G940 as I can return it within ten working days :) FT I will bring the Guillemot with me to Duxford so you will have a spare one